Re: Insteon Review: The Finale

"Dean Roddey" <droddey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Use it how?

Assuming that you are referring to the SALad language, it is an interpeter
embedded in the firmware of _some_ Insteon devices. It lets developers
customize the behavior of those devices by writing tokenized event handlers
to download to them. I'm really not familiar with the specifics as I don't
have the SDK (and would be prohibited from saying anything about it if I
did). In the 5-6 year old posts you'll find in a CHA search, it was mostly
used to customize TouchLinc controllers. Innovative Pool Controls used it to
create custom touchscreens for their devices. The just released Insteon PDF
mentions modifying the "CoreApp" in the PowerLinc V2 controller. My guess is
that only controller type devices use it but that is just a guess. If you
want to know more I'm afraid you'll have to agree to their license terms and
buy the SDK.

I don't think it has anything to do with higher level external apps that
communicate with the controllers via serial or USB which, I assume, would be
your interest.

I think there may be a bit of a disconnect. So far, SmartHome has priced
Insteon agressively and touted it as an X-10 replacement. This means that it
will be mostly a DIY market that is unlikely to want to pay for premium
priced software.