Re: Automated front door lock?

"Marc F Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

<stuff snipped>

>> I have to point out that fumbling with a key fob is often only
>> slightly less irritating as fumbling with a keychain.
>
> Agreed. My key fobs are usually in a drawer in the basement. My key chain
> consists in three flat keys with the heads mostly ground off because I
> travel light ...

That's a neat idea.  I think I'll get out the Dremel.  Grinding different
patterns will make the keys identifiable by feel in my pocket.  I use to use
these neat colored slip on plastic rings that have different ridges on the
edge for each color, but they make the damn keyring bigger, not smaller.

> But since the OP was talking about a bag of groceries (not a cab ride from
> security checkpoint), and the range of key fobs is on the order of 100
feet,
> there is no fumbling involved  if one presses the button when one takes
the
> keys out of a car ignition.

Agreed.  It seems to be the best of the solutions since the rolling code
devices are considered to be fairly secure.

> >Probably the best way for me to accomplish hands-free unlocking would be
> >put a G-force sensor on the dog's tail, which wags furiously enough to
> >clear end tables when she recognizes a family member at the front door.
> >She does this through what I can only assume is a complex analysis of
sound
> patterns
> >and perhaps smells.  She certainly can't see us - there's no access to a
> >window for her - but she *knows* it's us.  If only my security system
were
> >so smart.
>
> You joke (I think ? ;-), but sabres used in competitive fencing for about
> the last decade use an accelerometer that signals the deceleration of the
> blade when it strikes the opponent.  Recently, wireless has been
introduced,
> so there may be an off-the-shelf solution to signal when a dog's tail hits
> the table  ;-)

Yes, I was joking, but it still amazes me how dogs can differentiate people
from behind closed doors.  My wife has to hold little Nikki's tail when I
take too long to get the door open or else she'll do some damage.  I'm just
not sure whether attaching a sabre to it is a good idea!  <grin>  I'll bet
that I can train her to operate a paddle that activated a door strike relay.
The problem is she'd quickly learn that unlocking the door usually leads to
a reward of W-A-L-K (actually, we can't even spell the word anymore - she
knows it spoken and spelled and will go stand by her walking leash as soon
as she hears either).

--
Bobby G.