Re: Automated front door lock?

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 18:07:13 GMT, Keith <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<Xns96A58FBCD269DKeithBC4ReaderTokenI@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Newbie here-
>
>I need to replace my front door lock/deadbolt combo, and was thinking it
>would be nice to put in something with a keypad where I could program
>several codes with different expirations (for repairmen, meter readers,
>etc.)
>
>Before I just go buy whatever is at the store, I thought I'd check and see
>if anyone knows of a model with one additional function- it would be great
>if one had a proximity sensor (RFID key fob or something) where the door
>would automatically unlock if I got within, say, 3-5 feet of it. That way I
>could be carrying an armload of groceries and not have to fumble for my
>keys.
>
>Where should I be looking for this, if such an animal even exists?

With even only a conventional security system, it is near-trivial to add a
secure, rolling code key fob so you can disarm the house, open the garage
door, unlock the front door with a single button from 100 feet away and even
have a panic button on the same fob in case there is a situation that alarms
you .

This can be accomplished with simple addition of a ~$30 "electric door
strike" hard wired to the door (the lock itself need not be altered at all).

If your security system does not already have a secure key fob, one can be
added either natively (same manufacturer) or by using an add-on (eg NAPCO
makes one).

With a home automation system (Homeseer, Elk, HAI etc) you can also open the
door remotely ("call me at the office when you get to the house and I'll
buzz you in").

And log and notify you by email pager or phone of who enters when through
which door.

The dead bolt gizmos suggested by another poster to this thread are a very
poor alternative, and, if you have an security or HA system, a waste of
money that does not meet your stated objectives. See my other posts for a
more detailed list of reasons.

Marc
Marc_F_Hult