Re: Automated front door lock?

"Marc F Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>> it would be great if one had a proximity sensor (RFID key fob or
>> something) where the door would automatically unlock if I got
>> within, say, 3-5 feet of it. That way I  could be carrying an
>> armload of groceries and not have to fumble for my keys.
> >
> >Where should I be looking for this, if such an animal even exists?
>
> With even only a conventional security system, it is near-trivial to
> add a secure, rolling code key fob so you can disarm the house,
> open the garage door, unlock the front door with a single button
> from 100 feet away and even have a panic button on the same fob
> in case there is a situation that alarms you.

Without delving into the relative merits of any of the proposed solutions, I
have to point out that fumbling with a key fob is often only slightly less
irritating as fumbling with a keychain.

I got the feel the OP didn't want to fumble with anything but rather carry
something in his pocket that would unlock the door based on nothing but
proximity.  That would certainly be my wish when I pop out of an airport cab
in the pouring rain.  I don't normally have my keys out since I haven't been
driving and sometimes I've been known to check them in baggage along with
anything else that might get me flagged at the check-in station's metal
detectors.

Probably the best way for me to accomplish hands-free unlocking would be to
put a G-force sensor on the dog's tail, which wags furiously enough to clear
end tables when she recognizes a family member at the front door.  She does
this through what I can only assume is a complex analysis of sound patterns
and perhaps smells.  She certainly can't see us - there's no access to a
window for her - but she *knows* it's us.  If only my security system were
so smart.

--
Bobby G.