X10 PLW01 not responding

I have an X10 PLW01, basically a light switch. As a manual switch,
it works fine. As an X10 device, it reliably accepts and reponds
to commands to turn on, but seems to ignore all commands to turn
off. Sending the commands multiple times doesn't help. I've tried
multiple addresses. Other X10 devices are working reliably. I don't
have any other PLW01s for comparison.

Is there any trick I should know? Or is this just a defective unit
and I should return it?
--
Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA  "Greed is to the moralists of the
dave@xxxxxxxxxxx, +1 714 434 7359    left what sex is to the moralists