Re: POTS and Ethernet over CAT-5 Cable

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, BrianEWilliams wrote:

> Is it possible to use some of the extra wires in CAT-5 cable to run a
> POTS line or two?  I heard that Ethernet only uses two of the eight
> wires.  Is this true?  If so, seems like I could run 3 POTS lines in
> addition to my Ethernet over my CAT-5 home network.
>
> If this is correct, are there any jacks available that would make this
> easier than cutting open my cables?  Thanks.

You can make your own box easily enough.  White/Blue for phone.
Wh/Gr and Wh/Or for Ethernet.  Wh/Br not connected.
It won't run gigabit.

It is fine for household use.  For the limited amount I have used it, I
get no CRC errors with the phone ringing, or at all, for that matter.

Also don't forget that modern enterprise wireless access points are
actually powered off spare wires in the ethernet cable these days.

Visible for a limited time:
http://rrcs-24-106-25-83.west.biz.rr.com/gadget.jpg

---
Lord, protect me from those to whom you speak directly
All salute the new age, and I hope nobody escapes