Re: Actually On Topic Question

On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 2:32:51=E2=80=AFPM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 3/12/2023 8:26 AM, ABLE1 wrote:=20
> > On 3/11/2023 10:20 PM, RTS wrote:=20
> >> On 3/11/2023 5:20 PM, ABLE1 wrote:=20
> >> pulse counter,  one of those things that advance a number on a counter=
=20
> >> each time the voltage interrupts.=20
> >> they use them at entries with a photo beam to count customer entering=
=20
> >> or leaving..=20
> >> in your case, they would count a number each time the power blinks..=
=20
> >> which would cause the touch pad to reset...=20
> >> If the numbers grow, that would tell me that something was interruptin=
g=20
> >> the supply voltage..=20
> >> (be it the wire, the power supply,=20
> >> or as I had happen somebody had wired into the fire power output.=20
> >> (which happened to cycle once each 24 hours)=20
> >> (It had been programed to remain on 24 hours, but somehow that=20
> >> programming was changed during a battery replacement)=20
> >> old systems have bugs that can appear at random with age..  :-)=20
> >> RTS=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > Rocky,=20
> >=20
> > Ok, I get it.  Makes sense, but....................=20
> > In a limited mode the customer has already connected his DVM to the=20
> > power and watched a steady 13.2vdc while the Touch Pad was cycling.=20
> >=20
> > Not 100% that it is not a power cycle issue that can't be seen in=20
> > this way but.................=20
> >=20
> > Thanks for the clarification!!!=20
> >=20
> > Les=20
> >
> I used to have a couple Radio Shack DVOMs that had a serial port. A few=
=20
> times I left one in the field hooked to a laptop with a terminal program=
=20
> running and recorded data for 24hrs to PROVE that the customer had=20
> shitty power and that the problem was not system. (Whatever system it=20
> was.)=20
>=20
> For some reason ODC59A seems to come to mind. That might have been the=20
> part number. Of course Radio Shack still survives in the form of a=20
> couple of independent stores that have a stingy selection of nothing=20
> (two stores I know of), but that is the last twitching of a dead corpse=
=20
> with a little residual energy reacting to outside stimulus. Even before=
=20
> the death throes they hadn't had real Radio Shack stuff for years.=20
>=20
> I think it was Jim who actually helped me find the part number when my=20
> first one died and I was looking for another one.
> --=20
> Bob La Londe=20
> [...]
Hmmmmm,  Bob, That doesn't even sound vaguely familiar.  But hell, it's get=
ting so I can't even remember how to spell memnorie.
.
Les, I don't know anything about Vistas but I'd go with the capacitor probl=
em. I've got some reeeeeely old Napco panels out there. A few, maybe 50 yea=
rs, and they've been failing one by one through the years. I'm pretty sure =
it's due to leaky electrolytic capacitors. you can see some of them leaking=
 on the PCB. These were manufactured long before the China capacitors were =
around so I think that's why they've lasted so long.=20
.
11 years sounds about right for when the China caps came out.
I've still got some Napco 800's, 850's and 854's out there and one Ademco 5=
600 wireless system I'm waiting for to fail. I suspect they'll all fail bec=
ause of capacitors.=20
.
Other than that, I went on a weeks vacation and when I got back I had 15 ei=
ther panel upgrades for remote access with Napco Starlink Connects cell rad=
ios or installations to do. Seems people are willing to pay the extra bucks=
 per month just to be able to do something new on their cell phones.
I therefore highly recommend vacations.