Re: Well HELL Guys.

On 9/20/2022 8:13 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 20, 2022 at 2:43:35 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> On 9/20/2022 10:48 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>>
>> You should see if you can get a subscriptions to "The Trapper and
>> Predator Caller." Maybe half dozen issues will do. I haven't
>> subscribed since the 80s when I ran traps, but there was a lot of great
>> info in there. Like any trade mag its weighted with sales hype, but
>> this one has/had a lot of actual useful info as well.
>> --
> OK Thanks!
> Just subscribed. Not going to get my first issue before I go up hunting though.
> Wish I would have thought about it and looked for a publication sooner.
> I would have liked to have brought a few copies up with me. Oh well, - - - next year.
> But thanks for the recommendation.

I keep forgetting you are in NY.  Some of the airguns I use (silenced)
might not be legal for you, but there are some very effective killer
airguns available these days.  Guys get all worked up about the big bore
African big game killers, but I am more impressed with those I can use
for real work.  I've got a couple silenced Benjamin Marauders.  .177 and
.25.  (The .22 has a power reputation for accuracy).  Using an elevation
cheat sheet I have made depradation shots with the .177 out to 112
yards, and bang flop depradation shots at 94 yards.  (small pests)  I've
not killed anything with the .25 out bast 74 yards, but it is the more
accurate of the two guns.  It will blast clean through a gopher at 74
yards and throw up enough dirt behind them to make you think you missed.

I noted you said BB / pellet.  Unless you are shooting soft BBs they
will damage your rifling.  The old Copperhead copper plated steel BBs
are hard on the rifling of a gun.

Another I really like is a Chinese BAM B-50 which is a .22 knockoff of
an old European airgun.  The Daystate Huntsman.  With a cheat sheet and
no wind I've grouped it well under 2 inches out to 135 yards shooting
.22 Premier hollow points at 1030-1100 FPS.  In real life that's silly
of course.  If I recall that was with 34 inches of hold over and cool
enough to avoid hot air wave movement.

Your typical shuttle cock pellets are most affective under 75 yards in
my opinion because they slow down so fast.  Even with a relatively
powerful gun.  Round nose or near round nose are much better than the
old wad cutters we all grew up using.   Some airguns have the ability to
push a real bullet with decent cross sectional density and a decent
ballistic coefficient out quite a bit further.

My favorite airgun (that I have owned) was an Kalibri Cricket in .25.
Marginally more accurate and marginally more powerful than my hand tuned
Marauder.  It was also shorter being a bullpup so it was easier to hold
on target, and because it had a higher pressure tank with a regulated
plenum it had a much higher shot count per charge.  It was also much
more expensive.  By a lot.  I sold it when I had a short term cash flow
issue one day.

FYI:  I have done a lot of work on the Marauder by the way.  Bigger
tank, port work on the valve, and de-bounce hammer.  Went from 6-8 full
power shots per charge to 26-28. Its enough to spend an afternoon
shooting collared dove and only have to make one trip back to the truck
to recharge from my SCBA tank.  If I am having a good day I only go back
to the truck when I'm done.

www.avg.com