Re: Well HELL Guys.

On Tuesday, September 20, 2022 at 1:49:05 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

> I just put new seals in an original first year .22 Model 1 phase one=20
> yesterday. I think I bought it brand new in 1981. It conserves a=20
> little air now at ten pumps. I'm debating using only 9 pumps, or=20
> upgrading the hammer spring to get a couple more FPS. I guess I need to=
=20
> take the ProChrono off the shelf and see what kind of velocity its=20
> giving me. I'm hoping for a little over 600FPS with Crosman 14.35=20
> grain Premier or Premier hollow point. The Premier hollow points are=20
> amazingly accurate at speeds upto 1100 FPS (BAM B-50 PCP.) I figure=20
> they should be fine at 600.=20
.
It's been so long since I've had these two air guns out of the cabinet, I'v=
e forgotten all the spec's on them. The pistol just shoots .22 pellets and =
the rifle shoots both BB's and pellets and is auto loading. Had to check on=
 YouTube to see how to repair them. Had to search awhile till I was able to=
 find a video for repair of my models. They are apparently both the first m=
odels manufactured back in the 60's-70's. I had to  email the YouTube guy t=
o make sure I ordered the right kit's for my guns. The seals are staked on =
and the brass retaining washer has to be cut off with a Dremel tool. Then t=
he new washer is press fit on the end of the rod and you have to cement it =
on with automobile gasket maker. Sheeesh! Maybe get to it this weekend. Gon=
na see how well it works before I attempt to change the other gaskets and O=
 rings. Maybe it'll be good enough.
.=20
>=20
> A few years ago I decided to grow a winter garden. Blackbirds and=20
> grackels loved me. They sat there staring at the dirt waiting for=20
> seedlings to pup up. I found a .25 caliber 25.4 grain pellet at 900+fps=
=20
> (PCP rifle) would blow right through a grackel and kill the one standing=
=20
> behind him too. Yes they are covered under the international songbird=20
> treaty, but it also clearly states depredation work is legal. Best part=
=20
> is the moderated Marauder is super quiet. The sound of the action and=20
> the pellet smacking a grackel eating a seedling are louder than the air=
=20
> blast of the gun.
.
I'm going to have to be careful and get rid of these damn flying rats one a=
t a time over a long period. I've got too many neighbors who are probably f=
eeding these flying shit machines who would call the ASPCA or something. Fr=
om what I can find out, it's not illegal around here to hunt them but I'm s=
ure they'd find some reason to charge me with some kind of animal cruelty m=
urder or something.=20
.

> LOL. I found lip squeaking and twilight worked better for me. Long=20
> shadows until not quite dark, and not quite dark until a little after=20
> sunrise. In Az we can only hunt from can see to can't see anyway and=20
> shining is not allowed. In the desert I have lip squeaked Coyotes from=20
> nearly half mile away. The other thing is coyotes like sweet fruit.=20
> Grapes, watermelons, etc. If you can setup near fields/vineyards you=20
> can often catching them coming and going in the wee hours. Adult=20
> coyotes are pretty smart. If you are setting up on a shooting lane they=
=20
> are already suspicious. Anything you do/smell/look like that isn't=20
> natural can spook them. I do have an electronic caller, but I only=20
> turned it up a little loader than I can lip squeak a mouse noise. Then=20
> I turn it off for a while and watch for movement. Constant scanning=20
> with my eyes.
.
In New York State, you can "spot"(light) Coyote but not deer. And you can b=
ait Coyote but not deer. No apples or salt licks or food plots specifically=
 created to bait deer.
There are different areas in NY with different hunting seasons and rules. T=
here's an "antler less" season for young hunters. A bow season, A crossbow =
season. Flintlock and other smooth bore, Regular, Junior etc, etc, dependin=
g upon where you live or hunt. The quantity of Doe tags are issued based on=
 the deer counts derived from last years harvest and counts in different ar=
eas during the off season. This year regular season starts Nov 19th to Dec =
11th. From a 1/2 hour before sunrise to a 1/2 hour after sunset. And, I hav=
e a doe tag this year. Bucks have to have at least 3 points on one antler.
.
In New York, the coyote hunting season begins on October 1 and ends on Marc=
h 27. Coyotes may be taken day or night with a NY State hunting license. Ba=
it, dogs, and electronic callers are permitted. There are no bag limits. So=
 they are definitely deemed a menace throughout the state.What concerns me =
is leaving it up to a hard nosed game wardens discretion in determining if =
you are baiting or spotting a deer or a Coyote? Especially "1/2 hour before=
 sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset. When spotting deer, no weapons can be av=
ailable to use.  It's a conflict in the law that's not accounted for. Some =
wardens are reasonable - - - - some aren't.
.
> Generally scopes are worse in the dark. You need a night vision scope.=20
> I've got some pretty decent light gathering scopes that are still okay=20
> until well after sunset, but I still think they are pretty much useless=
=20
> in the dark. I'm not sure I understand what was happening there.
.
Yeah. So that's what was so dumb about me being out there without even thin=
king about it.  And when I say "dark" I meant twilight. But with an open si=
ght it may as well have been midnight.
> > .=20
> > .=20
> > Anyway, hope this post helps strike up a little activity here.
.
 Why thank you. I've been thinking about upgrading my shop video=20
> surveillance, but since I'm now just a lowly consumer I didn't think you=
=20
> guys would talk to me... LOL.=20
.
Well if you need any help choosing equipment, let me know. I'm sure you've =
forgotten everything by now. :-)