Re: Story

On Monday, November 7, 2022 at 1:40:30 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 11/7/2022 11:08 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:=20
> > Snipped all that...=20
> >=20
> > I honestly believe that good writing only requires a moderate=20
> > intelligence, and some creativity.  The ability to see relationships.=
=20
> > Not just boy girl, but between places things sights smells people=20
> > feelings mores society culture... and you don't have to have a complete=
=20
> > picture.  You can create your own.=20
> >=20
> > I think basic writing is a skill that can be learned.  Having a frame=
=20
> > work (the skill) helps with everything else.  At first you stick to the=
=20
> > rules.  Like in music where you practice your scales and learn to keep=
=20
> > time, but changes in time and weird gangs of notes can show artistry.=
=20
> > ie.  Learning when to break the rules.  I believe few musicians who sho=
w=20
> > some artistry don't know the basic frame work of music.  Some have=20
> > learned it by rote and some studied music, but they have the basic=20
> > framework.  They know how to follow a beat, and that CDG is Rock & Roll=
.=20
> >  Even if they don't know those notes are call CD&G.=20
> >=20
> > This applies to many things.  I had the opportunity to see the Picasso=
=20
> > exhibit (in Las Vegas I think) some years ago.  It was interesting to m=
e=20
> > that he did realism or stylized realism in much of his early work.  He=
=20
> > learned the skills and then went nuts with it.  Even if art is not your=
=20
> > thing you should see the exhibit if you have the opportunity.=20
> >=20
> > Thank you for the compliment, and I do believe that I could become a=20
> > commercial writer.  In the end I fear that if I tried to monetize my=20
> > ability to write (such as it is) that it might take all the enjoyment=
=20
> > out of it for me.  I already experienced that once to a limited degree=
=20
> > in my experience with that nameless and now bankrupt outdoor magazine. =
I=20
> [...]
=20
> > could follow the formula and write a romance novel.  With only=20
> > marginally more talent they could write an installment or two of a soap=
=20
> > opera.  Perry Rhodan was a never ending science fiction soap opera.  I=
=20
> > would hate it, although I admit I used some soap opera tricks in the=20
> > story.  I would hate it.  Not the story.  I might enjoy it.  Mindless=
=20
> > drivel is often entertaining.  I would hate writing it.=20
> >=20
> > In the end the desire and the drive may be more important than the=20
> > skills or the talent. Ambition will get you the skills, and talent isn'=
t=20
> > all talent.  Some of it is drive and some of it is skill.  There is an=
=20
> > old cliche along these lines,  "Success is 1 percent inspiration and 99=
%=20
> > perspiration."  That is a hackneyed old saw, but its more true than man=
y=20
> > people believe.  You have to put in the work.=20
> >
> I suppose I should add that in retrospect I realize that may sound a bit=
=20
> arrogant. I am not comparing myself to Joe Satriana or Pablo Picasso.=20
> I am saying they too put in the time and did the work to gain the skills=
=20
> before becoming great in their field. I am not saying everybody can=20
> become great and truly unique in their desired field. I am saying that=20
> anybody who is not truly handicapped by debilitating acts of God or=20
> nature can be a part of their chosen field if they put in the work and=20
> learn the skills. If they have the drive, put in the work, and are even=
=20
> modestly intelligent they can be good at it. Drive can even overcome an=
=20
> amazing degree of handicap.=20
>=20
> Drive doesn't mean you have an inherent force of nature in your soul.=20
> Drive means you get out of bed when you feel shitty and you make=20
> yourself work just as hard as the days when you don't. That when you=20
> are stuck in a pile of shit you pick up a shovel and keep swinging.=20
> When you are backed into a corner by thugs you don't shrivel up in a=20
> corner and let them kill you. You step in and keep swinging. Drive=20
> means no matter how overwhelming that pile of rocks in the road seems to=
=20
> be you step in and keep swinging. Admittedly this may not get you as=20
> far as you want to go, but the whole world will be a little better place=
=20
> in atleast a small way if you do what you can. This may still not get=20
> you where you want to be... you will be a little bit closer.

Bob, as I read your posts, I=E2=80=99m reminded of the Movie =E2=80=9C A Br=
onx Tale=E2=80=9D
.
Chazz Palminerri =E2=80=9CSonny=E2=80=9D =3D Gangster
Robert De Nero =E2=80=9CLorenzo=E2=80=9D =3D Father
Lillo Brancato, Jr.=E2=80=9DCalogero =E2=80=9C =3D Son=20
.
About a young man Calogero (or =E2=80=9CC=E2=80=9D ) who is torn between th=
e values of his father and the gangster.
.
There are two things I always remember from this movie: ( that I think are =
apropos to THIS conversation )=20
.
Lorenzo tells his son:
=E2=80=9CYou want to see a real hero? Look at a guy who gets up in the morn=
ing and goes off to work and supports his family. That's heroism.=E2=80=9D
.
And, what in real life turns out to be the most ironic.
.
 In the movie, Lorenzo says to C,
  "Nothing is more tragic than a wasted talent."
.
This is said a number of times through the movie.
.
The actor, Lillo Brancato was an untrained actor who ( I think) did a fanta=
stic job in the movie. A natural and at the time was being mentored and pro=
moted by both De Nero and Palminerri. Could have gone on to do great things=
.=20
.
The movie wasn=E2=80=99t a great hit but what is striking about it is this =
follow up real life ironic story. :=20
.
Brancato was arrested on December 10, 2005, in the Bronx for the murder of =
police officer Daniel Enchautegui, who was at home and off-duty at the time=
 of his death, during a botched burglary. Brancato was charged with second-=
degree murder, and his trial began on November 17, 2008. On December 22, 20=
08, a jury found him not guilty of murder, but found him guilty of first-de=
gree attempted burglary. On January 9, 2009, a judge sentenced him to 10 ye=
ars in prison. On December 31, 2013, he was released on parole.
.
Talk about wasted talent. Afterwards, I think he played a bit part in the =
=E2=80=9CSopranos=E2=80=9D and that=E2=80=99s it.
.
If you haven=E2=80=99t seen the movie, give it a try. I=E2=80=99ve watched =
it a bunch of times.=20
.
So Bob, I=E2=80=99m not suggesting that you would or wouldn=E2=80=99t shoot=
 anyone. Just the part about  =20
.
 "Nothing is more tragic than a wasted talent." =20
.