Re: Story

On 11/4/2022 4:38 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 11/4/2022 6:19 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

>>> I'm not sure which way I want to go next.  I guess that depends on
>>> what I find next time I log on.  Whether I want to do damage control
>>> or just go with the flow in whatever new direction its gone.
>>>
>>> I've already over used the Achilles Segue.
>>>
>>> (I think I just coined that phrase.)
>>>
>>> Remember our new demi-hero Agent Bean may not yet have seen John's
>>> video clip at the end of the recording.  Certainly Bennie Bean hasn't
>>> seen it.   I suspect if Agent Bean had seen John defame the Secret
>>> Service his suspicion level about the whole thing might be a bit
>>> higher, well, and he wouldn't have needed his ten year old son to
>>> tell him what he was listening to.
>>
>> When I started down this path I was originally thinking very fast
>> paced hacker-centric action adventure.  Motor cycle chases.  Brutal
>> police tactics.  Fleeing for you life in the face of overwhelming
>> odds, and seeking a way to turn the tables in a grand unstoppable
>> manner.  It has slowed down.  Become more procedural.  With one of our
>> protagonists now being a ten year old I'm not sure the brutality of a
>> modern high impact action thriller tells well.  Its not like I can
>> retell Treasure Island after all.  Maybe Bennie Bean needs to become
>> superfluous soon. Identify some key points, and leave it to his dad
>> and the hackers. Obviously Agent Bean needs to learn more before
>> kicking it upstairs since his own agency has now been implicated in
>> who knows what.
>>

> Hi Bob,
>
> It is my humble opinion that you should consider writing a book, get it
> published, and sell a boat load.  Like Donald Hamilton's Matt Helm
> books, or Ian Fleming's James Bond.
>
> They did it, why not Bob La Londe's Agent Bean??
>
> You will never know if it will work, until you try.
>
> Honestly with all typing you do in the newsgroups your typing skill
> could are certainly good enough.  You can't be a "Hunt n' Pecker"!!
>
> What is the worst that could happen??
>
> You got my VOTE!!!
>
> Les

I am published for article length work in motorcycling and fishing in
newspaper and magazines.  (Maybe half a dozen pieces or so.)  Years ago
I had a web page dedicated to motorcycle games, and White Horse Press
contacted me to say, "Let us know when you are ready to publish your
book."  I also chat with George Burliss from time to time (publisher
editor?) with Home Shop Machinist Magazine.  My latest bigger project is
a video series on manual machining with a piece of shit desktop manual
mini mill.  I was hoping to sell George on a pairing it with a monthly
article, but he seemed to want to dumb it down to much for my taste.
That might just be my perception.

I actually am a hunt and peck typist.  I took typing in high school
(somehow I passed), and lots of computer programming in college, but I
never felt comfortable with classical home row typing.  I developed my
own system that uses some classic typing, and about seven fingers most
of the rest of the time.  In high school at one point we were told we
could type anything we wanted as long as we were typing.  When I
realized the instructor wasn't even collecting it I started writing
porn.  I left a few copies on the bus, and pretty soon I had guys
bidding to be the first to get my next fantasy adventure.  I burned out
on that quick.  There are only so many ways to say Joe got the girl, and
I was never into the weird stuff.

In college I wrote a story about show of force vs outbreak of violence.
It was a western short fiction piece.  The college magazine editor loved
it as did several of the other magazine staff, but their academic
advisor refused to let them publish it.  He was the classic left wing
liberal academic before we called them left wing liberal academics.
Considering some the really creepy stuff they did publish I was still
surprised.

I always wanted to write science fiction, but everything I wrote in that
genre was basically juvenile wish fulfillment.  Joe space hero gets the
girl, and the whole universe gives him ultimate power over everything.
I never understood the social commentary of science fiction well enough
to write truly good work like Heinlein (he also wrote some juvenile wish
fulfillment) or Asimov.  I could read and understand it.  I just didn't
understand that often that is more important than the science fiction
adventure.  Of course there is the fantasy science meets real science
like Larry Niven with Ring World or Neutron star, but I never had a good
enough grasp of the science for that.

Several years back I wrote an article for an outdoor magazine (that has
since gone bankrupt), and it was a fiasco of brutal rewrites even after
I cut out half the real content to meet their maximum word count.  Then
they stiffed me.  They didn't even want to give me a copy of the issue
with my article.  They said I could buy a subscription.  That took all
the wind out of my sails for a while.

Writing is like a lot of things.  Its a lot of fun when you don't have
to meet a deadline and pay the bills with it, or butcher it to fit
somebody else's preconceived format.

... and I have to remind myself.  Just because I have published a few
small things that doesn't make me a writer.  What skills I do have I
have to credit to Sarah Sneed.  I had to take two semesters of English
Composition in college.  I had dropped my second semester twice because
I got instructors that hit you with a ton of writing assignments, but
didn't teach anything.  I had steeled myself to slogging through it when
I signed up for Ms Sneed's class.  She taught.  She taught about
research, style, and readability.  I don't always use what she taught,
but I when I don't its a conscious choice.  She taught about that too.
When to break the rules.  (anecdote below)  She is probably the primary
reason I have any writing skills at all.

For the final assignment of the semester I had to write a research paper
on a classic novel.  (not a survey piece)  I took it seriously and did
it right.  We were told if we turned it in before the end of class
during final exams it was on time.  I was working on it until the last
minute doing rewrites, editing, and proof reading.  When I printed the
final copy I knew I could make it to class before the end of the exam
period if I hurried.  When I arrived I didn't even bother to park.  I
just rode my motorcycle right up to the door of the classroom, grabbed
my saddlebags and headed in to be stopped up short when the door
wouldn't open.  I turned and saw her walking down the sidewalk next to
the parking lot.  Afraid she might get away I chased her down the
sidewalk on my motorcycle, and pulled up short in front of her.
Probably a little stress leaked out in my tone when I complained she had
said we had until the END of the period to turn in our paper.  I got an A.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com