Re: Story

On 11/5/2022 3:18 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
> On 11/5/2022 3:47 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

>>> Well Bob, now you went and did it...................
>>>
>>> I have flown inverted, jumped out of a perfectly good plane at 3000
>>> feet, flown a glider, flown a helicopter, flown a Cessna 152 backwards
>>> on a runway, flown a Cessna 152 in freezing rain until at full throttle
>>> just above stall speed then landed, flown a (part owner) Ultra Lite,
>>> and many other experiences that would take a long time to read.
>>>
>>> Les
>>>

>> My father in law was a WW2 bomber pilot.  He claims he was taught to
>> land those big bombers by stalling them at just above ground level.
>> He claims getting his civilian pilots license he scared every one of
>> his civilian instructors because he did the same thing by "feel" with
>> small commuter planes.  Given the fact that he truly did remarkable
>> things including bringing back airplanes with gaping holes I tend to
>> believe him.  He also was the chief engineer in charge of building the
>> M16 production line at General Motors Hydramatic, and claims a higher
>> acceptance rate than any other manufacturer at the time including
>> Colt. There is always the chance you might have carried one.
>>
>> P.S.  Mattel NEVER made M16s or parts for M16s.  That's just a myth
>> perpetuated by soldiers and marines who had an aversion to the plastic
>> furniture on M16s.
>

> Those guys and gals did some rather amazing things in WW2.
> Makes sense for a plane that size to land them by stalling just
> above the ground.  First it won't fly below stall speed and second
> braking at a higher speed will take longer to stop.  I can see doing
> that with a smaller plane to be a different story.  Especially for an
> instructor that never flew a bomber!!!
>
> I haven't flow for a number of years at this point.  My license is still
> valid but it is my physical that is needed along with a check ride.
> Did that some time ago after not flying for maybe 15 years and the
> flight instructor said after being up for 15 minutes and having me do
> this or that.  "Put me on the ground, you don't need me up here. Go have
> some fun!!"
>
> It was great until I ran short on money and stopped.  Present day I
> would not pass the physical due to my hearing loss.  I just go to an
> occasional air show and drool!!!
>
> Les

I never felt like spending the money to be a real flyer.  I have looked
at experimental, but its still a bit much for essentially joy riding. A
buddy of mine (now deceased) bought an ultralight and kept it at a
private field owned buy a farmer we know.  He would take that bird out
of the hanger, and do "hot taxis" all day long, but as far as I knew he
never flew it before he sold it. Seemed so weird to me at the time.  It
was an interesting place where a handful of guys worked on various
projects.  Hanging from the ceiling of the hanger/barn was a delta wing
one of the guys started to build, but never finished.  Another guy I
knew looked it over with thought to finishing it, but in the end he
passed saying the frame material was to heavy.  Looked like rusted steel
tube to me.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff