Re: Story

On 11/7/2022 1:40 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 11/7/2022 11:08 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> Snipped all that...
>>
>> I honestly believe that good writing only requires a moderate
>> intelligence, and some creativity.  The ability to see relationships.
>> Not just boy girl, but between places things sights smells people
>> feelings mores society culture... and you don't have to have a
>> complete picture.  You can create your own.
>>
>> I think basic writing is a skill that can be learned.  Having a frame
>> work (the skill) helps with everything else.  At first you stick to
>> the rules.  Like in music where you practice your scales and learn to
>> keep time, but changes in time and weird gangs of notes can show
>> artistry. ie.  Learning when to break the rules.  I believe few
>> musicians who show some artistry don't know the basic frame work of
>> music.  Some have learned it by rote and some studied music, but they
>> have the basic framework.  They know how to follow a beat, and that
>> CDG is Rock & Roll.   Even if they don't know those notes are call CD&G.
>>
>> This applies to many things.  I had the opportunity to see the Picasso
>> exhibit (in Las Vegas I think) some years ago.  It was interesting to
>> me that he did realism or stylized realism in much of his early work.
>> He learned the skills and then went nuts with it.  Even if art is not
>> your thing you should see the exhibit if you have the opportunity.
>>
>> Thank you for the compliment, and I do believe that I could become a
>> commercial writer.  In the end I fear that if I tried to monetize my
>> ability to write (such as it is) that it might take all the enjoyment
>> out of it for me.  I already experienced that once to a limited degree
>> in my experience with that nameless and now bankrupt outdoor magazine.
>> I had to FORCE myself to write for a long time after that.
>>
>> I could certainly do formula work.  Anybody with basic writing skills
>> could follow the formula and write a romance novel.  With only
>> marginally more talent they could write an installment or two of a
>> soap opera.  Perry Rhodan was a never ending science fiction soap
>> opera.  I would hate it, although I admit I used some soap opera
>> tricks in the story.  I would hate it.  Not the story.  I might enjoy
>> it.  Mindless drivel is often entertaining.  I would hate writing it.
>>
>> In the end the desire and the drive may be more important than the
>> skills or the talent. Ambition will get you the skills, and talent
>> isn't all talent.  Some of it is drive and some of it is skill.  There
>> is an old cliche along these lines,  "Success is 1 percent inspiration
>> and 99% perspiration."  That is a hackneyed old saw, but its more true
>> than many people believe.  You have to put in the work.
>>

> I suppose I should add that in retrospect I realize that may sound a bit
> arrogant.  I am not comparing myself to Joe Satriana or Pablo Picasso. I
> am saying they too put in the time and did the work to gain the skills
> before becoming great in their field.  I am not saying everybody can
> [...]

Ok Bob,

I have read your typing in detail.  I am totally convinced that you have
done your best to convince yourself not to type a story long enough to
be considered a book.  However, maybe, just maybe you should just start
one and see how it goes.  Who knows, maybe you will give up in the
middle due to "writers block"!!  Maybe, you will finish it and somebody
will actually like it.  Maybe............

Not exactly the same but a number years ago I was at a customers
warehouse doing some security work.  I got talking to the guy on a
forklift and he asked me about my business.  Only, to tell me his story
about his thoughts about a business idea he had and how he was going
to do this or that and be an entrepreneur.  He had a huge amount of
thoughts on all of it.  After about 20 minutes of listening I stopped
him and said that I had to get my job done.  But, I wanted to leave
him with one thought on your business.  He said, Ok??  I said, "With
all of your thoughts and thinking you will NEVER be in business until
you take the FIRST STEP!!"  I walked away and said, "think about it!!"

About two months later I was back at the warehouse.  He saw me, and ran
over and said, "I took the First Step".  I was with an attorney and
getting the papers started.  He thanked me for talking to him.
I congratulated him on getting started.  I haven't been back or seen
him since.  Don't know how it all went.

I know, I KNOW, this book writing thing is not the same.  You have
convinced yourself that you don't want to do it.  But, just in case
please remember that Jim and I will buy your first print!!!

AND WE will know that WE got YOU STARTED!!  Right Jim??  :-)

Have a good week!!

Les