Re: Adding Envisalink EVL4 - Auxillary Power Max'ed out?

On 11/24/2018 4:31 PM, jtma67@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 9:48:57 AM UTC-8, Jim Davis wrote:
>> On Thursday, November 22, 2018 at 3:32:14 AM UTC-5, JohnM wrote:
>>> I plan on purchasing an EVL4 shortly but have a question regarding Auxiliary Power Maximums. I have a Vista 20P control panel with the below auxiliary devices which have a total current draw of 535ma (as stated in the 20P installation manual). Adding a EVL4 at 75ma would bring the total Auxiliary Power draw to 610ma. The Vista 20P documentation states that the Auxiliary Terminal power available is 600ma . This is a residential (non-UL rated) installation.
>>>
>>> I think I can make the assumption that the Alpha Keypads would only reach 100ma maximum if the keypad sonalert and the panel backlighting LED lights are activated at the same time. If that is the case I hoping that the extra 10ma overage would only be reached in a worst case scenario.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to save having to deal with a second auxiliary power supply and its associated power transformer but want to insure that I'll still be able to access the panel remotely in that worst case scenario.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a comment on what I should do here? Thanks for your help in advance.
>>>
>>> Current Devices
>>> (2) 6160 Alpha Keypads (100ma each - total 200ma)
>>> (1) 5881 RF Receiver (35ma)
>>> (1) 4286 Phone Module (300ma)
>> Your car can do over 100 miles an hour.
>>
>> If you could do it lawfully, would you actually drive it that fast everywhere you went? Think about it. And why wouldn't you? Maybe because it wouldn't last as long �� huh? Maybe? Ya think?
>>
>> Put in a aux power supply ���. Jeeeeeeze!
> Thanks for the advice....my issue was to try and squeak by with just the one power supply.
>
> As I'm sure you must know that you can't use the same transformer to power both the main alarm panel and the aux power supply.  Therefore adding an aux power supply will require me to do additional electrical work to add another AC outlet for the second oversized 1361 transformer.  Also it requires purchasing an additional battery to provide the necessary backup power in the event of a rare power outage because as you must know, Honeywell states you can't connect both to a single battery. All of this would likely require an additional secure box so that all this additional hardware wasn't readily accessible.
>
> So as you can see, this simple task has just turned into something a lot more complex for the sake of a measly 10ma of additional current required by the hardware.
>
> But if for nothing else I learned something about driving my car over a 100..  I never thought it wouldn't last as long.  My first thought is I'd have to wear "Depends" if I did go that fast.
>
> Have a great day and please keep on posting for the benefit of all.

not true about the single transformer..

Just boost the VA available on the transformer..  20va  up to a 40-100 va ..

may not sound right but we been doing it for years..

as for battery space, if you use the 4 amp hr size  you can get 2 in the
case...

just remember to follow the instructions about connecting the extra
power supply (-) together..

** just remember the LED's on the sensors and back light on keypads is
what draws all the power..

If you can cut that back  you should make your limit...

--

*Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.*