Re: 5834-4 key fobs intermittently stop working with 5881-ENH receiver connected to Vista 20p

On Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 9:30:36 PM UTC-7, HOGAN wrote:
> Well, by the description in your above story, you appear to be a homeowne=
r or a not very experienced technician since you "successfully" programmed =
the remotes.=20
>=20
> All that aside, you also mention that the unit is in the closet next to t=
he panel box. You failed to mention if the house is multi-story, or if this=
 closet is in the basement, or that perhaps there is structural materials t=
hat could be interfering with the transmission of the fobs, like a refriger=
ator, water heater, concrete or the like. Those fobs you bought, do not hav=
e the power of a microwave.
>=20
> There is not enough information available to come to any conclusion to yo=
ur dilemma.
>=20
> The ideal location for the receiver is the highest spot in your house, aw=
ay from any steel, aluminum, or any material dense in its atomic structure-=
 fobs will not work in an X-ray room since it is shielded with lead. If you=
 do not have any available location near the panel box that is free of "int=
erference materials", then perhaps find a location close to any of your key=
pads, to install the receiver. The receiver uses the key-bus wiring anyway =
and that is what keypad wiring uses. Perhaps you have a keypad that is on a=
 wall adjacent to a closet where you could relocate the receiver. It is not=
 rocket science, fobs just need no interference with other conflicting wire=
less, and they don't work thru dense materials like steel, lead, aluminum, =
etc.
>=20
> I have used a lot of wireless from different manufacturers, and it is rar=
e for Honeywell keyfobs to not work properly.... except in the case of wire=
less interference--in that aspect they do come to the top.
>=20
> Since you took the long and expensive route to keyfobs, you should invest=
igate using the after-market fobs that work on many different systems- thos=
e should have topped out at less that $50 for the receiver and 2 fobs... an=
d they also comes with a button on the remotes that activates a small light=
 beam... way ahead of Honeywell.
>=20
> The light blinking on the fobs is there only to tell you that it sent 'th=
e "WIRELESS BEAM" out into the wonderful expanse of the ether. It does not =
mean that it communicated with the receiver.
>=20
> If you can stand by the receiver and use the remotes, and the system cons=
istently arms and disarms, then it is either interference by dense material=
s or interference from other wireless sources.
>=20
> It is best to hold the remote firmly with the left hand, and using the fi=
nger of the right hand to activate the remote. Make sure that you stand fla=
t-footed first. Soothing music in the background is also encouraged... no h=
ard-rock.
>=20
> ...A little laughter helps on any day.
>=20
> Hogan

Hogan, thank you for your insightful albeit condescending response.  I=E2=
=80=99m glad I was able to brighten your day with my post.  I=E2=80=99ll gi=
ve your advice to move the wireless receiver a try.

FWIW, the reason I posted this asking for assistance is that the behavior d=
oesn=E2=80=99t make sense.  On any given day at any given time, I can be st=
anding with a fob in each hand and one might work while the other won=E2=80=
=99t.  Wouldn=E2=80=99t interference affect BOTH the same?=20

If you=E2=80=99re going to post a response, would you mind doing so with a =
bit less sarcasm, maybe just answering the question or ask for more informa=
tion in a civil way?  Yes, I=E2=80=99m a tech savvy homeowner.  No need to =
put me down for that.