Re: Adding Envisalink EVL4 - Auxillary Power Max'ed out?

On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 9:48:57 AM UTC-8, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Thursday, November 22, 2018 at 3:32:14 AM UTC-5, JohnM wrote:
> > I plan on purchasing an EVL4 shortly but have a question regarding Auxi=
liary Power Maximums. I have a Vista 20P control panel with the below auxil=
iary devices which have a total current draw of 535ma (as stated in the 20P=
 installation manual). Adding a EVL4 at 75ma would bring the total Auxiliar=
y Power draw to 610ma. The Vista 20P documentation states that the Auxiliar=
y Terminal power available is 600ma . This is a residential (non-UL rated) =
installation.
> >=20
> > I think I can make the assumption that the Alpha Keypads would only rea=
ch 100ma maximum if the keypad sonalert and the panel backlighting LED ligh=
ts are activated at the same time. If that is the case I hoping that the ex=
tra 10ma overage would only be reached in a worst case scenario.
> >=20
> > I'm trying to save having to deal with a second auxiliary power supply =
and its associated power transformer but want to insure that I'll still be =
able to access the panel remotely in that worst case scenario.
> >=20
> > Does anyone have a comment on what I should do here? Thanks for your he=
lp in advance.
> >=20
> > Current Devices
> > (2) 6160 Alpha Keypads (100ma each - total 200ma)
> > (1) 5881 RF Receiver (35ma)
> > (1) 4286 Phone Module (300ma)
>=20
> Your car can do over 100 miles an hour.=20
>=20
> If you could do it lawfully, would you actually drive it that fast everyw=
here you went? Think about it. And why wouldn't you? Maybe because it would=
n't last as long =E2=80=A6=E2=80=A6 huh? Maybe? Ya think?
>=20
> Put in a aux power supply =E2=80=A6=E2=80=A6=E2=80=A6. Jeeeeeeze!

Thanks for the advice....my issue was to try and squeak by with just the on=
e power supply. =20

As I'm sure you must know that you can't use the same transformer to power =
both the main alarm panel and the aux power supply.  Therefore adding an au=
x power supply will require me to do additional electrical work to add anot=
her AC outlet for the second oversized 1361 transformer.  Also it requires =
purchasing an additional battery to provide the necessary backup power in t=
he event of a rare power outage because as you must know, Honeywell states =
you can't connect both to a single battery. All of this would likely requir=
e an additional secure box so that all this additional hardware wasn't read=
ily accessible. =20

So as you can see, this simple task has just turned into something a lot mo=
re complex for the sake of a measly 10ma of additional current required by =
the hardware.

But if for nothing else I learned something about driving my car over a 100=
.  I never thought it wouldn't last as long.  My first thought is I'd have =
to wear "Depends" if I did go that fast.

Have a great day and please keep on posting for the benefit of all.