A Sound Discussion

On 9/30/2015 4:52 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> "ABLE1" <someone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> Hi Les,
>>>
>>> I do this kind of audio work on a regular basis. I don't know what your
>>> specifics are but here's a little bit of information that may be useful.
>>> Although Pandora is free or a paid service, the free service does have
>>> it's quirks. You can only pick your category of songs but not specific
>>> songs. You can choose a performer or a style of music but Pandora plays
>>> pretty much what it wants to at random ..... keeping within a genre. The
>>> most annoying thing about it is that the volume is not constant. Some
>>> music is loud some is too soft. When I set up music systems for people I
>>> try to use Sonos. This way people can play their own music from their
>>> Ipads/IPhones or computers as well as choosing from about 150 internet
>>> radio stations. Sonos is fabulous to work with and delivers lots of
>>> smiles to the end users. They love it.
>>>
>>> One of the aspects of jobs like this is that their WiFi network needs to
>>> be pretty robust if they want to be able to control their music from all
>>> over the home. They usually don't want to go for the extra bucks up front
>>> but once they get a taste of being able to control their music from their
>>> I/Phone/Pad they want to do if from anywhere in the house and then I get
>>> called back to enhance the WiFi network.  I usually wind up installing
>>> wireless access points or additional routers with DHCP disabled. Also,
>>> the Power line carrier IP network extenders work pretty good in getting
>>> the network to other parts of the house without having to run wires. It
>>> takes some practice to learn how to install them quickly but once you've
>>> mastered it .... it works great. There are new ones out now that not only
>>> carry the hardwire network but also create a WiFi area from the plug in
>>> unit.
>>>
>>> Anyway, If you need any help, let me know.
>>>

>> Jim,
>> Thanks for the input.  I just looked at the Sonos site and a quick look at
>> the components.  This equipment looks like it is geared more for the high
>> end residential user.  The project I am involved with is a commercial
>> restaurant dining room for background music as well as paging for order
>> numbers.
>>
>> I have never used Pandora but the customer is using it an likes it. They
>> also have some knowledge about another service called Spotify.
>>
>> The comments you made about Pandora gives me a little concern but with
>> equipment I am looking at should handle what ever service they want to
>> use.
>>
>> I am thinking that all of this new audio stuff will have its quirks of one
>> type or another.
>>
>> BTW the equipment I am looking at is:
>> https://gracedigital.com/shop/tuner-pro/
>>
>> Connected to a Episode commercial amp ECA-70MIXAMP-1-60 with 2x2 drop in
>> ceiling speakers.
>>
>> Just dropped a ball park number today and got a "THAT MUCH??" response.

> [...]

Bob, I changed the subject on this is this has gone way off topic.

I always that it was a problem if a radio station was used for MOH on a
phone system so I don't do that when requested.

As for this new stuff like Pandora, Spotify, etc can now be an issue
that I had not thought about before reading your post.  Yes that could
be an issue of sorts.  The question is how to fix it??

Truthfully I do not know how that is done.  Is it just a matter of not
using the "free" service and set up a paying account??

Is this something that is covered in the fine print somewhere??

Oh!! the challenges.

More input, need more input.

Thanks,

Les