Re: GEM-RP1CAe2 Keypad: Compat# Error

On 9/15/2015 10:02 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> "ABLE1" <someone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Well Ok then.  I will now add to my resume'.
>>
>> ABLE1 = OVER THE TOP EXPERT GEMINI TECHNICIAN.
>>
>> Yea, that will help with the bottom line.
>
> Good job Les.  Sorry, I crashed my play computer a couple weeks ago and have
> been off Usenet until a few minutes ago.  A trick I learned a long time ago
> for quick and dirty KP swaps and preconfiguration is to connect power to a
> battery and configure the keypad before installing.  Its also a good way to
> make sure panel operation isn't knocking things out of whack.  Disconnect
> from panel, powerup, configure.

Bob,

Welcome back or something. Didn't know you were in a black hole. :-)

Never thought about the keypad trick. Don't do much programming from the
keypad. Almost always use laptop. Only do keypad stuff to take a zone
out or check history on site.

Maybe someday when the thought pops in my head and I am setting up a NX
system I will see if it works. My only question is how do you get into
programming the keypad when the Installer Code is in the panel and not
the keypad?? If the keypad is not connected to the panel how do you do
that??

Maybe I will at least try it on Monday?? I have to swap out 7 devices on
a NX8e. Very way out there on another planet issue.

Something (possible 7 devices on Data Buss) is locking up the processor.
Customer goes in, no response from keypad for delay, no response from
keypad presses. Only thing that will clear it are a power cycle. Then
all is normal, like it never happened. Nothing in history. Everything
works just great.

Has happened just three times in the past 2 months. System has been
installed for over two years. First two times were a week apart, then
good for over a month. No, power surge or spike that can be reported.
Good for weeks and then nothing. It would take me years of
troubleshooting to separate and isolate the problem device so a full
swap of all 7 devices will make the problem hopefully go away. Hoping my
Monday (scary thoughts just happened) will go well.

Later,

Les