Re: xmitting SIA codes

On Monday, August 25, 2014 6:10:19 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
> [...]
le.=20
>=20
> I think they work pretty well as a communicator, but the remote ap which =
is=20
>=20
> getting more and more in demand is pretty feature poor compared to some o=
f=20
>=20
> the other remote aps I have looked at.  I have to admit the upload downlo=
ad=20
>=20
> over cellular works really well.  I sometimes tether my smart phone to my=
=20
>=20
> laptop so I can look at a problem for a customer while I am pulled over=
=20
>=20
> along side the road.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> However, If somebody has seen a Honeywell Total Connect with touch pad on=
=20
>=20
> site or an Alarm.com with touch pad on site and their respective remote a=
ps=20
>=20
> Napco can't compete.  I've seen the remote ap for alarm.com up close and=
=20
>=20
> personal.  Its pretty good, and its not site based internet dependent.  I=
=20
>=20
> can't even get a demo account from Napco for their Starlink compatible=20
>=20
> remote ap.  As long as I have been loyal to Napco I may not have any choi=
ce=20
>=20
> but change if I want to keep putting in new installations.  I've been usi=
ng=20
>=20
> Napco as my primary solution since the Gemini panels first came out.  I e=
ven=20
>=20
> installed a few MA panels back then.  I just finished a 6 door access and=
=20
>=20
> alarm system around their X255 on Friday and imported it into the custome=
rs=20
>=20
> management software this morning.  I've got a P1632 going in this week fo=
r a=20
>=20
> full comprehensive system as well, and the only new panels I have on the=
=20
>=20
> shelf are Napco.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I kinda feel like Napco is like FBII used to be before it got absorbed.  =
A=20
>=20
> good product, but a step behind on new features and development.  I am=20
>=20
> excited about their claimed sole path fire cellular unit though.  Heads u=
p=20
>=20
> competition to the TG7FS at a lower price and lower service rate.  Atleas=
t=20
>=20
> thats the claim of the sales guy.  Of course the sales guy also told me i=
t=20
>=20
> was coming out several months earlier than the tech guy told me it was go=
ing=20
>=20
> to beta.
=20
> Bob La Londe
> The Security Consultant
 Licenses
> ROC103044 & ROC103047

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir but I too have been using Napco back to=
 before the MA series.=20

If everything else has changed .... the fact that Napco is always later tha=
n everyone else and always later than they predict, hasn't. But also, their=
 products are like a rock, last for years and usually have all that most co=
uld want. Programming has only gotten better/easier for the new users since=
 Quikloader. If you started with Napco years ago, you evolved as their prog=
raming got more and more involved so it didn't seem that hard. As time prog=
ressed, new users would throw their hands up and drop the line because the =
newer alarm companies learned from the past and started out long after Napc=
o with programing methods that could evolve easier. By that time it was too=
 late for Napco to change.=20

I know that eventually they'll come out with a app that will include the in=
teractive functions that are expected today. Whether it will be in time to =
be taken advantage of or not ..... we'll see.=20

I too have been looking at some of the other ways these things can be done =
but it doesn't involve paying someone else a monthly fee for something that=
 I and the consumer can get simply for the cost of the equipment. I all dep=
ends on what level the customer want's to enter at. I find that most just w=
ant to keep it simple. Having a app that will feed your cat, water the lawn=
, put your shades up and down, lock your door and wipe your kid's ass doesn=
't seem to be that popular with the people that I'm seeing. But PARTICULARL=
Y BECAUSE.... they don't want to pay $40.00 a month for it. Apps are "free"=
 aren't they? Why do I have to pay for an app to do those things?

They're more willing to pay a one time charge for additional equipment to d=
o it but not as a recurring payment.=20

As far as Napco's demise .... yeah, I think you're about right. They're way=
 down on the popularity list but who knows how long they will hold out. Hop=
efully longer than me. In my opinion they're still building quality equipme=
nt but competing with cheaper, lower quality equipment. Yeah the new remote=
 features they offer are tantalizing but .. cheap is cheap. I never saw a D=
SC panel that I didn't think could be crinkled up into a ball with your han=
ds and tossed in a garbage pail.