Re: home owner needs advice

Jim <alarminex@xxxxxxx> wrote in
news:90163fa3-87a2-402a-86ca-4b8bc27f767f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> On Sunday, May 26, 2013 11:10:30 AM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
>> "CalT" <calT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> nenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >I have some Optex Annunciators
> protecting my rear laundry room > entrances. > >
> http://www.optexamerica.com/security-products/rctd-20u > > I need
> a siren to be tripped by this to scare any burglar or whomever >
> away before they continue on into my home. In the Optex manual it
> > says: > > "Terminal Connection: Any device with a zero voltage
> input terminal > can be connected to this terminal. This may
> include electronic locks, > emergency sounding devices, and
> automatic reporting equipment." > > I do not understand the term
> "zero voltage input terminal". > > When the Optex triggers on
> movement it senses and the NO terminals > close, how can they
> activate any relay or whatever if the terminals > cannot have a
> voltage applied or current running through them? > > Somewhere I
> am not understanding something here. I am used to hooking > up
> relays in my screwing around over the years, but this has me >
> baffled. > Well un-baffle yourself. The contacts are just "dry
> contacts" aka no voltage. You can apply a voltage to the C(Common)
> Terminal and when tripped the voltage will be applied to the
> NO(Normally Open) terminal. Or voltage will be removed from the
> NC(Normally Closed) Just be advised that the contacts are only
> rated at 1 amp @ 50vac and 24vdc. More than that you will need a
> slave relay to handle heavier loads. Make sure you check the specs
> of the device you are connecting to before you become unhappy with
> yourself. :-) Hope that helps. Les
>
> Just a thought ..............
> If you didn't look up the spec's on the Optex ( I didn't ) and you
> are just assuming that what you said is true, .... you may want to
> consider that instead of an actual "voltage" the output of the
> "contacts" might be a solid state positive or negative, limited
> current or "logic" output, to trip an alarm zone. Not enough to
> power a relay coil.

I'm going to phone Optex tomorrow and get the final word on this
problem. ( Although I have come to the conclusion that I am going to
have to install a real alarm system.  I posted this part previously to
ABLE1.)

If I get a bummer answer from Optex that disallows what I'm thinking of
doing, I'm going to do another simple Rube Goldberg idea that just
might deter the predators when we are home from advancing in further.
I'm going to have a wireless controlled switch set up to feed power to
a siren. I have such switches already doing other jobs around the hose.
If the Optex system alarms, I'll just press the keypad of the wireless
remote switch and have the siren go off. Why wait until they come
further into the house and have a gunfight if they are armed?  If the
alarm doesn't scare them, I'm adequately armed plus I have another
really great defensive weapon - my cell phone.  Being in a small town,
the police are literally only a minute or two away.

When we are not home, we have counted on the fact of our having 4 large
mutts who are not overly friendly to any passersby.  Any jerks who
might have been casing places I'm sure have taken note of this fact.
The mutts are outside for many hours during the day. Their presence
cannot be missed. However, I have read of two instances where some
bastards pepper sprayed the poor dog(s) in a home.  So, I'm being
rather forced into using a real comprehensive alarm system.  We've had
to move four times in the past decades because of the garbage flowing
into this country.  We're getting to old for this.  We have enough
"domestic bred" shit in this country, we hardly need to import more via
Barry Soetoro's determined effort at destroying present day America - a
'present day America' which has made him a millionaire.

Go figure.