Re: home owner needs advice

"ABLE1" <nospamhere@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:sFJot.241706$1m3.79061@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> "CalT" <calT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Robert Neville <dont@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>> qk35q855q01vv502m6t892ug4hlap6cbeo@None:">news:qk35q855q01vv502m6t892ug4hlap6cbeo@None:

>>> It means you cannot run any kind of load current through the
>>> Optex device. The only thing those terminals can be used for is
>>> to feed an alarm panel or drive a relay.
>>
>> To me the term "zero voltage input" is what threw me. I thought
>> they meant even the small amount of voltage/mA it would take to
>> feed a small relay coil.Maybe I watched to much Sesame Street as
>> a kid, because zero to me means zero. None. Nada. Zilch.
>>
>> I guess I'm just going to have a small small relay feed the coil
>> of a larger one which has the capability of handling a bigger amp
>> load needed by a siren. I'll have to find out what the current
>> requirements are for the coil of a huskier relay.
>>
>> Thanks for the input.
>
> You only need a Altronix RBST relay board to do the trick.  Don't
> forget you will need a large enough DC power supply to handle the
> load of the siren. Then you will need the proper AC txfmr to power
> the power supply.   Then you will need a battery to back up in
> case of a power failure. Then before you know it you would have
> better off installing in a full blown Alarm Panel that would use a
> wireless keyfob to arm and disarm so the wife can be happy.
>
> Good Luck
>
> Les

No, I'll just need a battery with a battery tender. Those solid
state battery tenders are a modern day miracle.  Unlike the old
battery charger junk which killed as many batteries as they saved,
these tenders keep them alive for so many years that I've lost track
of when I bought the batteries I have on those tenders.

I have another Rube Goldberg affair for tripping the alarm, which I
won't mention because you've already had your jollies for the day.

As far as the full blown alarm panel goes, I already have had one
for the past 4 or 5 years - sitting in the box with accessories.
It's the Concord 4 Wireless - 8 hardwired zones plus 96 wireless
zones, etc.  I'm sure you're more familiar with it than I am.  I've
only perused the manual slightly.  I bought it before realizing my
wife was dead set against the seeming complexity of the system.
That was before the area began changing  and the predators seem to
have spread out farther than they use to hunt before.  As long as
predators know how to drive and can steal a car, they have access to
the goodies of others for miles around.  There have been problems
around here for the last few years which have intensified as of
late.  I have realized myself that the Concord is going to have to
get setup and going, and my wife is simply going to have to go with
the program.  She is beginning to somewhat realize the predator
situation is getting worse around here.  She had a bad situation a
few weeks back when she was out riding her bicycle in what used to
be a peaceful area.  Although she has had a 'carry' permit for
years, she never carried.  I was the one who insisted she get one.
After the incident of a few weeks ago, she now carries a snub .38 on
her bike rides. (And Barry Soetoro is going to let another 15
million or so of them in here?)

I'm going to stick with the Optex method with the siren hook up
until I can get the Concord up and running. (The dang manual is a
bit intimidating.)  I do have a bunch of accessories I bought at the
same time, including the phone and voice interface board, so that
part is mostly done.  The biggest problem as I mentioned before was
the fact of our somewhat rural setting and all the daytime and
nighttime critters - 4 legged ones, that is, that make it extremely
difficult to use motion detectors. We also have a very large bird
population here, due in good part for me feeding them for many, many
years. Those birds fly low around the house and would easily set off
motion detectors.  That's why Optex is so great. Those suckers have
protected the entire interior of the house for some years without
alarming on our 4 large mutts.  The beams on the Optex units can be
so finely tuned - and without taping the transmitter windows.  But
even they on the outside would meet their match with the birds and
squirrels, not to mention the stupid woodpecker who keeps banging
his beak against our home in a fruitless effort at finding a snack
under the siding.

So, other activities permitting, I should have the Concord and touch
pad mounted before the week is out.  As I said, the manual looks
formidable, but a careful reading of it and picking out the proper
sequence of first steps to get it operating should make it
installation easier. I have found that it is the rare manual which
displays things in the proper sequence.

Why am I doing this myself?  One reason is this is not an urban
area, and too many of the "business" people in this area think
because they held a job for a year or so in a certain repair or
installation business they know how to do it.  They may not.  We've
spent too many bucks in the past on these guys and learned this the
hard way when we had to have a job redone by someone who indeed knew
what they were doing.  On top of that, why should I trust anyone
else?  Remember the Comcast installer who raped two women customers
on the job?  This system of mine is to keep vermin like that at a
distance, not allow them to be intimately acquainted with my
defense.  I also feel by doing it myself I will  be much more up on
what the system can and cannot do, which I will have to be up to
speed on if I'm to explain it to my wife.  Ain't lookin' forward to
that part of it.  :o(

I'll keep you posted.  You might need another laugh or two before
the week is out. :o)