Re: home owner needs advice

"CalT" <calT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:XnsA1CC62B833B83samnonenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I have some Optex Annunciators protecting my rear laundry room
> entrances.
>
> http://www.optexamerica.com/security-products/rctd-20u
>
> I need a siren to be tripped by this to scare any burglar or whomever
> away before they continue on into my home.  In the Optex manual it
> says:
>
> "Terminal Connection:  Any device with a zero voltage input terminal
> can be connected to this terminal.  This may include electronic locks,
> emergency sounding devices, and automatic reporting equipment."
>
> I do not understand the term "zero voltage input terminal".
>
> When the Optex triggers on movement it senses and the NO terminals
> close, how can they activate any relay or whatever if the terminals
> cannot have a voltage applied or current running through them?
>
> Somewhere I am not understanding something here.  I am used to hooking
> up relays in my screwing around over the years, but this has me
> baffled.

Well un-baffle yourself.

The contacts are just "dry contacts"  aka   no voltage.  You can apply a
voltage to the C(Common) Terminal and when tripped the voltage will be
applied to the NO(Normally Open) terminal.  Or voltage will be removed from
the NC(Normally Closed)

Just be advised that the contacts are only rated at 1 amp @ 50vac and 24vdc.
More than that you will need a slave relay to handle heavier loads.  Make
sure you check the specs of the device you are connecting to before you
become unhappy with yourself.  :-)

Hope that helps.

Les