Re: home owner needs advice

On Sunday, May 26, 2013 11:10:30 AM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
> "CalT" <calT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:XnsA1CC62B833B83samno=
nenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >I have some Optex Annunciators protecting my rear=
 laundry room > entrances. > > http://www.optexamerica.com/security-product=
s/rctd-20u > > I need a siren to be tripped by this to scare any burglar or=
 whomever > away before they continue on into my home. In the Optex manual =
it > says: > > "Terminal Connection: Any device with a zero voltage input t=
erminal > can be connected to this terminal. This may include electronic lo=
cks, > emergency sounding devices, and automatic reporting equipment." > > =
I do not understand the term "zero voltage input terminal". > > When the Op=
tex triggers on movement it senses and the NO terminals > close, how can th=
ey activate any relay or whatever if the terminals > cannot have a voltage =
applied or current running through them? > > Somewhere I am not understandi=
ng something here. I am used to hooking > up relays in my screwing around o=
ver the years, but this has me > baffled. > Well un-baffle yourself. The co=
ntacts are just "dry contacts" aka no voltage. You can apply a voltage to t=
he C(Common) Terminal and when tripped the voltage will be applied to the N=
O(Normally Open) terminal. Or voltage will be removed from the NC(Normally =
Closed) Just be advised that the contacts are only rated at 1 amp @ 50vac a=
nd 24vdc. More than that you will need a slave relay to handle heavier load=
s. Make sure you check the specs of the device you are connecting to before=
 you become unhappy with yourself. :-) Hope that helps. Les

Just a thought ..............=20
If you didn't look up the spec's on the Optex ( I didn't ) and you are just=
 assuming that what you said is true, .... you may want to consider that in=
stead of an actual "voltage" the output of the "contacts" might be a solid =
state positive or negative, limited current or "logic" output, to trip an a=
larm zone. Not enough to power a relay coil.