Re: Zapping Camera Problem

ABLE1 Wrote:

>Like most cameras today with dual voltage 12vdc or 24vac there is only a two
>wire connection.  And then the video output with a BNC coax connector.
>
>The ground rod was has a clamped on #12 that goes to the Ditek video
>protector.
>
>I am thinking this is where the biggest problem is at.  Initially there was
>no protection.  Camera got zapped.  Then added the protector and connected
>to building ground.  When that camera got zapped then added the ground rod
>and connected to it.  The last couple of cameras have been connected in this
>way with a lot of puzzled looks.  Something needs to be changed that is why
>I am seeking some additional thoughts on the issue.
>
>There is always the thought of a Faraday Cage over the whole complex, but
>that just seems a bit extreme.  :-)

Okay, I thought you grounded the camera chassis themselves.

How about a simple ground block where the coax enters the building?  Just
use "f" connectors, no need for BNC's.  Do it just like the CATV setup.
That way you get a ground right at the rod and building entry.  I would
still think you would need ground loop isolators since the reference is
different at the out-building and the head-end.

--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
 deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin