Re: Zapping Camera Problem

"G. Morgan" <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:c3rtp897kq73l6bsriagbmve64hbbp8t91@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> ABLE1 Wrote:
>
>>Ok, I know something needs to be done with the grounding.  And, I get the
>>points you are making.  However, I find it a little challenging on what it
>>is going to take to ground a plastic camera case.
>
> Does the cam have a green ground wire lead coming out, or a terminal?
>
> What did you hook the ground rod to?

Graham,

Like most cameras today with dual voltage 12vdc or 24vac there is only a two
wire connection.  And then the video output with a BNC coax connector.

The ground rod was has a clamped on #12 that goes to the Ditek video
protector.

I am thinking this is where the biggest problem is at.  Initially there was
no protection.  Camera got zapped.  Then added the protector and connected
to building ground.  When that camera got zapped then added the ground rod
and connected to it.  The last couple of cameras have been connected in this
way with a lot of puzzled looks.  Something needs to be changed that is why
I am seeking some additional thoughts on the issue.

There is always the thought of a Faraday Cage over the whole complex, but
that just seems a bit extreme.  :-)

Les