Re: Any skilled residential installers in New River, AZ area?

On 1/21/2012 4:38 PM, Just Looking wrote:
>> Not sure why you think I would not "...even recognize..." a skilled
>> installer, though.
>
> A skilled installer would generally migrate to a higher paid position. I
> always think of residential installers in the alarm trade as being at
> the lower end of the skill spectrum. Even companies like ADT manage
> their sales and installations staff in a tiered fashion of compensation
> where residential is at the bottom of the food chain. When I think of a
> skilled CCTV installer I think of one that could not only install but
> configure many types of CCTV systems; like ones with hosted video
> recording and a different CIF and frame rate not only for each camera,
> but each storage "bucket". The installer could calculate the necessary
> retention time for a NAS or SAN and configure same into an network. The
> installer would recognize and be able to configure a layer 2 or 3 switch
> or carve out his own VLAN. The installer would be able to set up
> analytics on each camera or encoder or separate analytics server,
> including all inputs, outputs for any metadata, not to mention linking
> the video to the access control system or POS system.
> What you seem to be looking for is not a skilled installer and probably
> would not have need of one if your market target is 4 residential cameras.

Ya know, that's one of the thing about this industry that sort of ticks
me off.

There's more to skill than being able to program

When it comes to running/fishing wire, at least, IMHO residential
requires much more skill... well... for those that aren't hacks.
Problem is, the guys that prove they give a shit end up doing commercial
and the new guys are on the resi jobs stapling the keypad wire down the
wall and drilling straight down through the baseboard.

I know guys who can make a dvr or card access panel dance a friggin
rumba while integrating everything with the fire and BA - but they
couldn't run a wire between their elbow and their shoulder without it
looking like holy crap.

Too much of the resi market is slapping up wireless with double sided
tape and pluggin the Lynx into the phone jack so they can get out of
there and go screw up someone else's drywall.

Where I am now, we haven't done any resi (tho that may change) but the
last place had the policy that if it looked like a fish was gonna take
more than ten or twenty minutes, go wireless.

At the satellite place, they didn't want us to fish anything.

That just takes a lot of the fun and challenge out of the job - I know,
my way takes a lot of the money out of it.  But if I had been anything
other than an abject failure at drumming up work, that's how I would
have done it.

To me - nothing better than a clean install - and that, imho, takes skill.