Re: Who's blog is this ?? --- Security related

On Jun 22, 10:53=A0am, G. Morgan <G_Mor...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> tourman Wrote:

> >> Yeah, his heart is in the right place maybe. I was just looking for
> >> product reviews for the 2Gig systems, didn't expect a non-review.
>
> >> I'm tempted to use them or the new Lynx Touch for renters. The 2Gig ha=
> >> a GSM communicator built-in, so even if it's knocked off the wall it's
> >> still communicating (hopefully).

> >> I thought it was someone here at first, but that one does not share th=
> >> same opinion on "all-in-ones".
>
> >RHC: Even though they don't fit in my "target market", I have heard
> >some good things about the 2Gig panel. One large national company up
> >here (Protectron) has taken them on as a line and they sell very well
> >apparently.
>
> Thanks, that's more helpful than the 'review' !
>
> > However, they are still another totally wireless option
> >with emphasis on neither home automation or security, so I would be
> >naturally suspicious (or at least very cautious)
>
> They also have a hardwired transceiver to grab 8 zones from the original
> panel (on a takeover).
>
> >I had planned a meeting with their Product Manager up here, but it got
> >cancelled due to my trip south. I just never followed up with him. A
> >third line of panels is just one more I have to support in my
> >business, and my gut tells me that is one too many...
>
> I emailed them and a rep said they would be in touch shortly. =A0That was
> about a month ago. <

For years I have heard the stories about how someone can rip it off
the wall and kill it but have NEVER actually run across such an
incident.
I have installed thousands of these systems and never had a complaint
on the Lynx. The old Simon panels were flimsy, which is why we never
used them.
What I did witness on video back in like 1999 or 2000 was a burglar
attempt to kill the system by smashing it with a hammer. It didn't
work.
This is the usual "Chicken Little" rhetoric we hear whenever a new
product is put to market.
Most of the naysayers are guys who last touched wireless back when the
crappy AT&T 8000 and Ademco 5700 Series were the Kings of the Wireless
Jungle and would be triggered by police car radios.
Yes Paul was right about RFI but he was twenty years too late with his
report.
In this day and age we are not compromising security by using wireless
but you can't convince the rotary dial phone crowd about that.

My only concern with these new touch screens is durability. Will they
hold up over the years? For that reason I prefer a traditional style
keypad over a touch screen.
The home automation could turn into a nightmare if you start fiddling
with the thermostats so prepare to become the on call HVAC guy for
your customer too if something goes wrong with their central heat and
air.  I could be wrong but I'd prefer to err on the side of caution.