Re: need recommendation please

Chuck <charlesmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>What do you recommend?

I prefer CAT5, in case later I want to go back with IP cameras.  Have you looked
into IP cams?  You'll need a balun on each end if you use CAT5 ($15/ea.)

>In my home system, I run coax and copper but my picture has never equaled
>the closed circuit monitors shown at many businesses.

You can come very close.  As someone else said, look for lines of resolution in
the camera's specs.  550+ is good, anything less is grainy.  Look for a 1/3"
CCD.  I know you can get one for under $200 that might even have decent built-in
IR's (for close range).

Also, Frank mentioned there were about a dozen other things to consider before
buying.  I'd list them, but Frank is the best alarm tech in the world and his
list will be better!

PS:  What you see in stores is the live monitor output, not the recorded video.
So it should be very clear.

Playback of recordings won't look as nice if you don't set the DVR to record in
the best quality + frame rate.