Re: need recommendation please

On 27/02/2011 7:59 PM, Chuck wrote:
> I'm looking for a security system for some elderly people on a rural farm.
> I initially liked the look of the Logitech Alert 750e Outdoor Master System
> with extra cameras but looks like there are several problems with that
> system:
>
> 1) current owners report frequent camera breakdowns
> 2) setup apparently requires a high speed internet connection
>

> I absolutely do not want these cameras to be available to the internet under
> any circumstances.
>
> So, any recommendations for a good system with outdoor (IR) cameras?  I'm
> willing to go $1000, maybe a little more, for a solution (pc or non-pc
> based) with at least 3 outdoor IR cameras.
>
> Sure appreciate any help folks ......

It's been my experience that a good quality outdoor camera system will
set you back a tad more than $1000.00.  You have to consider image
quality, and focal lengths (unless you're mounting the camera right
where the action is going to take place - which makes it vulnerable),
and about a dozen other factors (including ambient light) and the
quality of the IR emitters.  A good quality DVR is going to set you back
at least $2K (and this will provide you the alarm outputs you might also
like to have when the cameras sense motion).  Outdoor dome cameras can
run you anywhere from $700 to $1200 (depending on the configuration).

If you want to spend $1000, then you're limiting yourself to the
"systems" available through Costco and Home Depot.  I don't think you'll
find many security professionals selling those systems here.

Good luck with your search!

--
Frank Kurz
www.firetechs.net