Re: ADT Dealer being scum again

On 8/27/2011 2:03 PM, G. Morgan wrote:
> JoeRaisin Wrote:
>
>> As to your point, If I had a chance to partner up with a smart, good
>> salesman who knew what he/she was talking about then I would be happy to
>> give it another shot.  But I know what I'm good at and I know what I
>> suck at.
>
> I read your whole reply, but it boils down to this last part.
>
> I too am in the same boat when it comes to sales.  I'm not comfortable
> doing cold-calls, but I'm working on it.  It's easy when you're in a
> convenience store and a camera is out or something, just ask to speak to
> the manager and fix it on the spot.  If they need to get permission
> first, you will have planted a seed and they will call later if you
> don't get the job the same day.
>
> Craigslist... There are guys begging for help for their overflow.
>
> This is my second attempt, the first time I had a partner.  Lessons were
> learned, and I'm giving it another shot.  Despite many things not
> working out as planned (Tom I'm talking to you), I still manage to
> scrape up enough work to keep me busy via contract work.  Failure is not
> an option, I need to get 1000 accounts in 10 years for my retirement
> fund, then I can do whatever I *really* want to do.  It's been my
> experience over 20 years that any employer does not give a shit about
> you, it's all business.

For me the important part was about the stress.  I was hardly eating,
barely sleeping and not much fun to be around (you can verify that last
part with my wife).  Maybe some folks are just wired stronger, maybe I'm
just a pussy.  At this stage in life I just want a little peace.

Like I said, the owner and the ops manager are good people.  The pay is
better than any of the established alarm companies around here - I was
at the top of the pay scale when I was fired and I'm making about a
hundred bucks a week more at this gig.  I'm making the bills, building
an emergency fund (something I've always had trouble doing in the past),
eating much better and sleeping soundly at night.

The owner cut his teeth as a salesman and when he's not on the phone or
email he's out pulling wire and learning the tech side of the biz - on
that note, he can cut in a door strike faster and prettier than just
about anyone I've seen.  The ops manager has been in the alarm biz
nearly twenty years and his theory is that if you keep the techs happy
the work product will keep business flowing.

But I digress - point is, I prefer to be pointed in the direction of a
project and turned loose.  I can concentrate on the day's work without
worrying about tomorrow, and when I go home I'm free to cut the grass,
hit some items on the honey-do list or just park my lazy ass on the deck
with the laptop and enjoy the cool Michigan evenings (which is what
usually happens).  ;)

Since I'm not all stressed out and bitchy, and the wife isn't all
stressed out and bitchy 'cause I'm all stressed out and bitchy, later in
the evening is much better too.

I'm not saying that my way is right for everyone (good thing too or I
wouldn't have anyone to work for) - but for me, well, my quality of life
is leaps and bounds better than it was.

So what it boils down to is that, when it comes to working for myself -
I'm just a pussy.