Re: ADT Dealer being scum again

On 8/27/2011 10:55 AM, G. Morgan wrote:
> JoeRaisin Wrote:
>
>> If I am ever contracted by a company whose salesman knows as much about
>> alarm systems as I do - well, I don't know if I'll buy one, but I'll
>> probably apply for a job...
>
> Joe,
>
> Are you still stuck in the mind set that you have to work for someone
> else?  At first I thought that was a typo, I thought you meant to say
> "I'd hire that salesman on the spot".
>
> Remind me again which State you're in??

LOL - hey, I have to know my limitations.

My attempt at working for myself was a miserable failure.

I put in decent systems, I take care and pride when running my wires and
I test as thoroughly as I can.  My work product is my best effort.  But
as for GETTING that work... I doubt I could sell a dollar cheeseburger
to a starving millionaire.

Perhaps I gave up on it too easily but with a mortgage and everything
else I can't afford too many failed attempts.  I only had the one IRA to
cash in.

In addition to other places, I contacted every alarm company and IT
outfit in this and all surrounding counties as well as as many
electrical companies.  Emails, phone calls, mailings and physical visits
resulted in zilch.  In fact, the few jobs I did get in that time had
nothing to do with any of that, just word of mouth - hell, the business
cards were a waste of money for all that they got me.  And don't get me
started on the tax side of it.

Frankly, it was hell and I have utmost respect for those of you who can
make it work.  I don't do well under that sort of stress.

I like where I am now.  The owner is a decent guy.  I get the jobs and
he leaves me alone to do the work - if I need a helper, job add-on or
anything else, a single phone call is usually all that is needed.  Most
of the other techs have a similar work ethic as well.

We do a lot of subcontracts from ADT, something that I, certified,
licensed and insured couldn't get despite emails, phone calls and
repeated visits to the local office.  Best part (or worst) is that one
of services I offered was (NFPA-72) Fire System Inspections to which I
was informed that ADT would never sub out something like that.

Less than a year after being told that, I was hired by this company to
fulfill a contract with ADT to do their Fire Inspections in this area
(Northern Michigan).  I suppose what I was told wasn't too far off the

We are doing a lot of install, add-on and other work for them, primarily
for the national accts.  In the space of a year, with a dozen techs and
operating in only one state, we have just been informed that we are
among the top ten Authorized Contractors (NOT, I would like to point
out, an Authorized "Dealer") for them.  The regional muckity muck told
my boss we are getting attention form his bosses.

So I'm on a pretty good team, in addition to ADT we work with other
alarm companies and have our own contractor's licenses (BA & FA) which
has meant a steady flow of work so far.

I like my boss, my boss likes me, he pays well and I don't spend most
days stressed to the point of breaking.

As to your point, If I had a chance to partner up with a smart, good
salesman who knew what he/she was talking about then I would be happy to
give it another shot.  But I know what I'm good at and I know what I
suck at.