Re: ADT Dealer being scum again

On 8/26/2011 9:01 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
> "nick markowitz"<nmarkowitz@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote in message
>> http://consumerist.com/2011/08/new-adt-sales-tactic-cold-call-people-frighten-them.html
>>
>> I have lost all respect for ADT when they do not reign in these scummy
>> sales people and dealers
>
> I am with you Nick,
>
> About 2 years ago I received 3 calls in one night on my business line.  The
> person on the other end identified herself as Mary from something security
> (don't remember the name) and bluntly asked if I had a security system in my
> home.
>
> I said:  Why would I answer such a stupid question??
>
> She said: Well if you have one we have a special deal for you.  And if you
> don't we have another special deal.
>
> I said: Take me off your list and don't call me again!!!
>
> The second call:  I went ballistic!!!
>
> The third call:  My BP went thru the roof!!
>
> IDIOTS!!!!
>
> Les

I get the occasional cold call from someone trying to sell me alarms.  I
just start asking questions about capabilities and features that get
increasingly technical until I reach the point they don't know the
answer (or rather, they don't have that info on the sheet in front of them).

Then I tell them to call back when know something about the product they
are selling.

If I am ever contracted by a company whose salesman knows as much about
alarm systems as I do - well, I don't know if I'll buy one, but I'll
probably apply for a job...

Not that I know 'everything' - not even close.  But I know enough and if
a salesman knew that much I would at least get install plans that make
sense.

Actually that would be a fun twist on these calls.  Ask if they are
hiring and as he's trying to sell me an alarm, I'll try to sell him my
resume and see how long he can tolerate two separate conversations.