On Sep 3, 1:04=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sep 3, 9:51=A0am, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > On Sep 2, 4:40=A0pm, "Bob La Londe" <nos...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > "Jim Rojas" <jro...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

It is

> > > Kills me. =A0The "cop" calling from his cell phone was pissed at me f=
or
> > > refusing to come help. =A0Didn't seem to understand that there were p=
ainfully
> > > obvious reasons why I wouldn't just tell him how to disable an alarm =
system
> > > over the phone.
>
> > RHC: Why is it that people think just because a cop says something
> > related to security that it is so. Some of the very worst, incorrect
> > and downright foolish advice that has been given out to customers has
> > come from police officers !! Being good at "policing" doesn't mean
> > they know squat about security.....-
>
> Unfortunately, you'd be hard put to find a Cop who would admit that.
> We've always got a number of alarm companys that are popping up in the
> area, that are owned by retired Cops and they almost always fail. They
> always try to cash in on the fact that they are ( or were) police
> officers. Those very few who prevail have got to make a quantum shift
> in their thinking to meld into the hardware security trade.
>
> In other words, they've got to truly believe that they will never get
> the chance to shoot the intruder. :-)

RHC: Absolutely right ! There is a local company here that was started
by a retired cop. I know him well and he is doing ok...not great...but
ok !  But he's the first to admit that he milks his past history at
every opportunity, and his record of police experience goes a long way
towards making potential customers trust him. Hey, if you can't trust
a cop, who can you trust ??...:)) Unfortunately, it doesn't
necessarily mean he knows jack shit about security or is any better at
it than others in the business.

Another fallacy in the security trade....