Re: Garage Door Opener keypad recommendations

On Nov 21, 7:13=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Nov 21, 9:12=A0am, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > RHC: Frankly, there's little differentiation between the two for all
> > practical purposes.
>
> Well, it's just that I find that the most problems one has with door
> "buttons" is that the door expands/contracts, hinges come loose, door
> hinges get sprung, house settles ...... whatever ...... changing the
> gap between the door and the frame. So any additional distance I can
> get ..... I want. Rollerballs have a lesser excursion than a push
> button.
>
> >=A0Talking about "play", I sometimes find a job
> > where the installer has put a magnetic contact on the hinge side of
> > the door....???? ....the door then has to be opened about two feet
> > before the zone shows open. =A0Some people's children !!!!!!!!
>
> I tried that once on purpose for some casement (crank-out) windows.
> Because the customer wanted to be able to open the windows a small
> gap. It worked fine for that but what happened was ...... as the wind
> would move the window back and forth .... it would gradually open more
> and more through the day and eventually false alarm. Never counted on
> that. Had to rewire the windows. Customer shared the cost since he was
> the one who insisted that I do it. ( and I was dumb enough to try it)
>

> > Also talking about takeovers, here are the rules I use when I go on
> > premises to potentially "takeover" another account. After opening the
> > box, if there is no kind of wiring diagram on the inside of the
> > door...strike 1. If the installer has only left about an inch of wire,
> > rather than the normal six inches of service wire on the loop...strike
> > 2. If the can is not neat, nor organized, =A0I can only assume that the
> > hidden parts of the alarm are the same way....strike three and he's
> > out ! Of course, when you open the can and see the following, it's an
> > automatic "OUT"
>
> > 1- A ball of wires fall out and the owner says, "oh, those are the
> > windows which have never been hooked up"
> > 2- You know there are several motions on the system, but only one wire
> > is coming into the box...#$$%$#
> > 3- Colour coding of wires is not consistent
> > 4- The type of wire leading away from a motion or keypad is not the
> > same type of wire coming into the alarm can
> > 5- One or more motions are simply hanging from the wall with no
> > logical explanation why from the owner.
> > 6- The owner proudly announces he installed the system himself...(I'm
> > outa there....)
>
> > As well, when I come up to the house, if =A0I see a generic sticker, or
> > no sticker at all.....or....I see the stickers from one of four local
> > companies that no one will touch due to known poor
> > installations !! ...or I see the stickers from a company I know went
> > out of business 20 years ago.....my guard goes up !!
>
> > Just like it makes little sense to spend the money on an alarm system,
> > if you haven't taken the time to secure the home physically (at least
> [...]

RHC: I am quite surprised that you would only get a couple of takeover
requests a year. Perhaps this indicates something very different about
the business environment you work in versus ours up here. I can't
imagine what it would be, but I do know that most good companies here
do loads of takeovers. Perhaps it has to do with no licensing here in
Ontario, or perhaps the number of unskilled, untrained companies
working on alarm installations leaves loads of marginally functional
systems out in the market. When they fail, and these companies can't
fix them properly, or service them properly, the owners go looking for
someone who can.????

I really don't know, but it likely makes it more important in my
environment to review the systems carefully before taking them on.....