Re: Garage Door Opener keypad recommendations

On Nov 19, 12:24=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Nov 17, 7:03=A0pm, JoeRaisin <joeraisin2...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Ummmm what kind of "roller ball" would you use on an overhead door?
>
> > > I can see a 2" gap magnetic switch but a roller ball? =A0Well, maybe =
if
> > > it was about =A06 inches in diameter to give you the two inches of pl=
ay.
> > > I think the door would have a hard time trying to push in a ball that
> > > size and the kids would constanly be leaning their bicycles against
> > > it. :-)
>
> > We were talking about the garage to house door.
>
> > Though a six inch roller ball would be a sight to behold...-
>
> Oh.
>
> However. Unless I don't have any other choice I don't use roller ball
> switches on doors. I think it's been pretty well documented that all
> it takes is a grain of sand or a paint chip to jam a roller ball
> switch in the closed position.

RHC: I guess we differ somewhat on that point. I have used thousands
of roller balls on doors and had less than half a dozen give me any
type of trouble. And then, it can be as you say...dirt jamming the
switch, but more often it's some idiot who's painted over the thing,
disabling it. I've also used thousands of buried magnetic switches
too, and these give me far more trouble, since they don't have the gap
"forgiveness" inherent in a roller ball contact. They seem to give
trouble when 1- the customer forgets to lock the door and the wind
blows it open enough to trigger the alarm, or 2- when some idiot
originally installed it at a downward angle, thereby limiting the gap
length before it triggers.

I guess they both have inherent problems but a quality roller ball is
IMO no more trouble than a magnetic switch. And as always, it usually
comes down to improper application or installation.