Re: Garage Door Opener keypad recommendations

> One of my trades is (was) overhead door installation.

Fair enough.  I called the company that installed the garage doors in our
neighborhood.  They are among the major garage door compainies in northern
california.  I told him about my experience with a broken spring, and asked
him if the motor should be able to open the door with a broken spring.  He
said no way.  He went on to explain that some contractors use 1/3 HP for the
heavy doublewides because the spring does all the heavy lifting, but they
don't recommend the smaller motors for the heavy doors.  However, he said
that even the 3/4 HP motors can't open a heavy doublewide with a broken
spring.

> Now in addition to a power failure, a battery failure, and a stormy night
> when
> you come home.... You're going to throw in a broken spring at that exact
> moment.?  Talk about entropy.  Hell, if all that goes wrong then that's
> some
> kind of mojo warning you not to go in.

I'm not sure you understand the scenario I'm describing.  I'm talking about
a single point of failure.  I know many people (myself included) who do not
carry any house keys.  The only way for them to gain entry to their house
(without a break in), is through the garage door.  If the garage spring
breaks while they are outside the house, and they have a heavy garage door,
then gaining entry to the house may present a challenge.

Best,
Christopher