Re: Garage Door Opener keypad recommendations

On Nov 18, 12:03=A0am, George <no.geodosch.s...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 05:06:31 -0800, tourman thoughfully wrote:
> > On Nov 17, 6:21=A0am, JoeRaisin <joeraisin2...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> Are you saying that you leave the door from the garage to the house
> >> unlocked?
>
> > RHC: Good question ! This is a very poor idea and an ongoing source of
> > false alarms. If the door doesn't close properly and isn't locked, high
> > winds outside can cause enough of a vacuum inside the garage to pull or
> > push the door open just enough to trigger the zone (especially with
> > magnetic contacts versus roller balls behind the door) . This is a
> > common cause of false alarms that I routinely warn my clients about.
>
> In my situation, the door between the garage and the house is locked with
> a deadbolt operated by a pushbutton keypad.
>
> Yes, I could also put a similar lock on the outside garage man door, but
> such a lock suitable for outdoor use is much more expensive than the door
> opener keypad, not to mention that I'd used my Genie keypad for years, so
> when that failed, the obvious solution was to replace that with something
> more reliable, rather than going a different route.

How about looking at it from this point of view?  Since the Genie
lasted "for years" you may find that you could buy two or three Genie
pads for the same cost of the newer/better/longer lasting device.
They're not that hard to install. They make them wireless so that they
don't have to provide for a remote (anti-tamper) module which is the
reason for the increased cost of a hardwired device. If the battery
change is a problem with the Genie, with a little research you could
find and hardwire in a DC plug in power supply in place of the Genie
battery. Leaving it a wireless keypad eleiminates someone pulling it
off the wall and bypassing it.