Re: reasonable monthly rate

"Christopher Glaeser" <cdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:S--dnQrDhtcEe0fRnZ2dnUVZ5uudnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> In my market basic monitoring from a local company for a customer owned
>> system is $21 - $25.
>
> Thanks, that's helpful.

Had to get a feel for you before I could give that.  Often somebody will
think they are clever and just waste our time looking for the lowest
possible monthly rate and then they will wonder why they can't have that low
rate and a free alarm and a comprehensive system and good service if there
is a problem.  Basically those are the people that are too stupid to own an
alarm system.  Your follow ups indicates you probably are not in that
category.  If you were in my coverage area I would stop by and give you a
quote.

>> Service agreements, cellular, higher level of reporting activity etc can
>> cost more.
>
> Does GSM monitoring typically cost more than phone line monitoring
> (assuming the homeowner purchases the GSM unit)?

GSM is cellular and uses cellular service.  There is a cellular account
associated with it and there is a monthly/annual cost so there is an
associated charge.  If it is a backup in addition to reporting by ordinary
phone line it does cost more.  However, many people are opting not to have a
an ordinary landline telephone.  Using a GSM or CDMA alarm cellular
communicator for basic monitoring may be cheaper than having a landline.
There should also be a telecom tax associated with the cell service,
although depending on what they charge the alarm company may absorb it or
just add it into the basic charge and charge a little more.

Typically that service will be sold as an add on for around $12.95 - $15.95
a month, but higher reporting like daily auto tests or open and closing
reports may drive that up.  A trigger only / back up only service might be
offered for a dollar or two less, but not much.  There isn't much margin in
cellular backup service.

>> As a side note, many small companies will offer a reasonable discount for
>> prepaying annually, but may not prorate a payback if you cancel early in
>> your annual term.  We offer 10% for annual prepays on the monitoring
>> portion of the bill if the entire amount is prepaid annually.
>
> I prefer to pay annually.

That is a good way to go with a responsible local company.  You may see some
savings depending on their policies.