Re: reasonable monthly rate

"Christopher Glaeser" <cdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:xIydneeihPv-TEfRnZ2dnUVZ5qqdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Who services the system for the client? End users mucking around in
>> programming is not only silly, but dangerous.
>
> You're right, I don't want to service or program my house alarm (with the
> exception of battery replacement), but I have not needed any programming
> or service calls for 11 years.  I've paid approximately $4,000 during that
> period to monitor my security system.  What would you recommend?  Continue
> with same company, or look for an alternative?
>
> Best,
> Christopher

In my market basic monitoring from a local company for a customer owned
system is $21 - $25.  Service agreements, cellular, higher level of
reporting activity etc can cost more.  Open and close reports or access
control activity reports typically are the items which will increase the
reporting activity substantially enough that a higher rate must be charged.

Low down / no down installs start at about $29.95 a month for a very
rudimentary system and go up based on the amount of equipment and level of
reporting.

On-line access to systems and central station information may add a $2-$7 a
month depending on specific services and if the company you pick offers
those services.  I have some clients paying around $50 a month per site for
open and close reporting, cellular backup, and online access to CS logs and
call lists.  They paid for their systems at install time.  Others I have had
with similar service in the past with nothing down on install were
contracted as high as $150 a month.

IP reporting or IP backup reporting will add to the upfront equipment cost,
but should not add to the monthly cost unless the customer doesn't pay for
the equipment.

Service contract will add to cost based on size of the system and actual
level of service provided.

Licenses (local alarm permit) and taxes as applicable are not included
usually, so bear that in mind if your locale deems it's a taxable telecom
service or if you have to get an alarm permit from your city.

As a side note, many small companies will offer a reasonable discount for
prepaying annually, but may not prorate a payback if you cancel early in
your annual term.  We offer 10% for annual prepays on the monitoring portion
of the bill if the entire amount is prepaid annually.  We offer a prorate
payback on early termination (if done properly) based on the monthly non
discounted rate and two months of service after receipt of termination
notice.  (Cellular and other services are offered at a low margin and are
not discounted, but they must be paid with the monitoring.  Part of the
savings is after all billing time and cost.)