On Mar 22, 1:25=A0pm, mleuck <m.le...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mar 22, 8:43=A0am, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > The biggest problem is it's not sustainable just like every other
> > > government program
>
> > RHC: It is sustainable; however, it is also expensive. Our provincial
> > governments are always bickering with the Federal government over
> > payments in every budget. Also, remember out tax rate is MUCH higher
> > than yours in the US. So I am paying for it, no question. It's just
> > that we have decided on a different pay structure than the private
> > system uses.
>

> We've already seen people from Canada come here for medical procedures
> they either couldn't get up there or had to wait long periods of time

RHC: Yes, this is true. One doesn't even have to go to the US' but
simply cross the border into Quebec to find privatized medicine and
procedures available if you wish to pay for them. This is simply
freedom of choice. It doesn't at all reflect a failing on the part of
socialized medicine but reflects ONLY the fact that someone doesn't
want to wait for such and such a procedure and is willing to pay for
it directly. When people have the money and are willing to spend it,
they will get served faster,but not necessarily better. This does
cause some resentment here in Canada by people who sincerely believe
that "two tiered" medicine should not exist.Personally, I have no
problem with it myself....

Let me give you a real world example in my own family. My younger
brother was also diagnosed last year with prostate cancer. Since he is
essentially a millionaire, and decided he didn't want to go through 35
time consuming radiation treatments which would take him away from a
very busy, responsible job running a large organization, he chose
instead to pay $22,000 for an experimental, one time treatment here in
Canada, which presumably has cured his cancer. I can afford, and could
also do the same, but choose not to. It's simply freedom of choice if
you have the money. However, don't make the mistake of thinking that
those who choose to go to the US for a particular procedure are
passing judgment on the Canadian system,or this can be used as an
example to prove that privatized medecine is "better". Remember for
every one person who chooses to pay, there are 10's of thousands who
wait just a little longer and get the same treatments without having
to bankrupt themselves to pay for it.

Them who has "gets". Its always been the same in any situation in any
country.  Politicians like Danny Williams, the Premier of Newfoundland
who went to the US to get immediate heart treatment rather than wait
for equal quality service within Canada, will face their own problems
with voters. And, to give him the benefit of the doubt, no one but he
and his doctor really know what lead to that particular situation. As
Petem said, some of the best heart surgeons in the world live and work
in Montreal so there may well have been a particular reason for his
having done what he did...

The question still boils down to whether a select but large group of
people have access to quality medicine based on a variety of options
governed by employers, insurance companies and drug companies, or
whether everyone in a society should have access to the same, paid for
out of taxes we all pay to run society.

You know my choice ......