Re: DSC 832 on Cable VoIP

On Jan 3, 12:04=A0am, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jan 2, 7:33 pm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I understand the concern with all the problems that have come up so f=
ar.
> > > However, it appears as though all of the major carriers are going to =
switch to
> > > some version of VoIP, even for what we now know as POTS lines. Many o=
f the
> > > inter-city trunks are already digitized and the rest are going that w=
ay. Only
> > > time will tell what kind of hoops the alarm industry will have to jum=
p through
> > > just to get a signal down the line.

> > > We're getting a lot more calls for cellular backup and even for cellu=
lar as
> > > primary these days. Most are not yet coming from residences though. A=
 couple
> > > of our regular clients operate remote pumping stations that have to b=
e monitored
> > > 24/7 for pressure, water level, etc. These are for both fresh and was=
te water
> > > facilities. It's surprizing some of the niches that alarm gear finds =
its way
> > > into.

> > > A lot of that depends on how well you've worded your contract, but ce=
rtainly
> > > it's better to avoid the loss than deal with the jury. :^)
>
> > > --
>
> > > Regards,
> > > Robert L Bass
>
> > > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>
> > > Bass Home Electronics
> > > DIY Alarm and Home Automation Storehttp://www.bassburglaralarms.com
> > > Sales & Service 941-870-2310
> > > Fax 941-870-3252
> > > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

> > RHC: I guess I'll try the 4/2 format as Nick suggested before I swap
> > out the board. It just doesn't seem logical that the panel should
> > seize the line and dial out only under some conditions but not
> > others...you'd think it would work totally or not at all.....?????
>
> > I've sold quite a few of the Uplink 2530 cellular devices as a primary
> > means of communication, where the client didn't have a home phone and
> > had no intention of ever getting one. But at nearly $300 my cost
> > (including the 3 amp power supply, battery and transformer needed),
> > and extra monitoring costs, they aren't a big seller. Those that have
> > bought, have looked at their ongoing home phone line costs, and figure
> > it costs about 6 or 7 months to pay off the unit; then figure the
> > extra ongoing $10 is still cheaper than a phone line.
>
> > I sell a lot of high end panels in homes where the cable phone service
> > is the only service wired in there. It's going to start making me very
> > nervous if I have to wait until the job is done and only find out when
> [...]

RHC: I completely agree. It makes no sense that some signal types
would go through and others dont....none whatsoever. I'm going to try
4/2 to see if it works, then change out the board if that doesn't
work, then put in a system of a different make if that doesn't work.
I'll let you guys know what I discover when I fix the problem.

Thanks to all for the feedback (and Tom, what that stuff, it'll kill