Re: DSC 832 on Cable VoIP

On Jan 2, 6:09=A0pm, "Robert L Bass" <nore...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Effenpig1" wrote:
>
> > I won't use anything but a POTS line for sending signals with the built=
 in
> > communicator...
>
> I understand the concern with all the problems that have come up so far.
> However, it appears as though all of the major carriers are going to swit=
ch to
> some version of VoIP, even for what we now know as POTS lines. =A0Many of=
 the
> inter-city trunks are already digitized and the rest are going that way. =
=A0Only
> time will tell what kind of hoops the alarm industry will have to jump th=
rough
> just to get a signal down the line.
>
> > Any other phone service gets IP monitoring or cellular...
>
> We're getting a lot more calls for cellular backup and even for cellular =
as
> primary these days. =A0Most are not yet coming from residences though. =
=A0A couple
> of our regular clients operate remote pumping stations that have to be mo=
nitored
> 24/7 for pressure, water level, etc. =A0These are for both fresh and wast=
e water
> facilities. =A0It's surprizing some of the niches that alarm gear finds i=
ts way
> into.
>
> > Sending signals over anything other than a standard phone line with the=
 panels
> > digital communicator opens you up to serious liability should there be =
> > communications failure resulting in loss...
>
> A lot of that depends on how well you've worded your contract, but certai=
nly
> it's better to avoid the loss than deal with the jury. =A0:^)
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Robert L Bass

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>
> Bass Home Electronics
> DIY Alarm and Home Automation Storehttp://www.bassburglaralarms.com
> Sales & Service 941-870-2310
> Fax 941-870-3252
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

RHC: I guess I'll try the 4/2 format as Nick suggested before I swap
out the board. It just doesn't seem logical that the panel should
seize the line and dial out only under some conditions but not
others...you'd think it would work totally or not at all.....?????

I've sold quite a few of the Uplink 2530 cellular devices as a primary
means of communication, where the client didn't have a home phone and
had no intention of ever getting one. But at nearly $300 my cost
(including the 3 amp power supply, battery  and transformer needed),
and extra monitoring costs, they aren't a big seller. Those that have
bought, have looked at their ongoing home phone line costs, and figure
it costs about 6 or 7 months to pay off the unit; then figure the
extra ongoing $10 is still cheaper than a phone line.

I sell a lot of high end panels in homes where the cable phone service
is the only service wired in there. It's going to start making me very
nervous if I have to wait until the job is done and only find out when
I go to put it on line, that it doesn't work. This is the first panel
I've run up against that has exhibited this problem. I normally put in
the SP6000 / 7000 / 5050 Magellan panels from Paradox and have never
had a problem....(yet).  Their board technology is a lot newer than
DSC's so maybe that has something to do with it....(fingers crossed)