Re: DSC 832 on Cable VoIP

On Jan 2, 7:33=EF=BF=BDpm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jan 2, 6:09=EF=BF=BDpm, "Robert L Bass" <nore...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote=
:

> > "Effenpig1" wrote:
>
> > > I won't use anything but a POTS line for sending signals with the bui=
lt in
> > > communicator...
>
> > I understand the concern with all the problems that have come up so far=
.
> > However, it appears as though all of the major carriers are going to sw=
itch to
> > some version of VoIP, even for what we now know as POTS lines. =EF=BF=
=BDMany of the
> > inter-city trunks are already digitized and the rest are going that way=
. =EF=BF=BDOnly
> > time will tell what kind of hoops the alarm industry will have to jump =
through
> > just to get a signal down the line.
>
> > > Any other phone service gets IP monitoring or cellular...
>
> > We're getting a lot more calls for cellular backup and even for cellula=
r as
> > primary these days. =EF=BF=BDMost are not yet coming from residences th=
ough. =EF=BF=BDA couple
> > of our regular clients operate remote pumping stations that have to be =
monitored
> > 24/7 for pressure, water level, etc. =EF=BF=BDThese are for both fresh =
and waste water
> > facilities. =EF=BF=BDIt's surprizing some of the niches that alarm gear=
 finds its way
> > into.
>
> > > Sending signals over anything other than a standard phone line with t=
he panels
> > > digital communicator opens you up to serious liability should there b=
e a
> > > communications failure resulting in loss...
>
> > A lot of that depends on how well you've worded your contract, but cert=
ainly
> > it's better to avoid the loss than deal with the jury. =EF=BF=BD:^)
>
> > --
>
> > Regards,
> > Robert L Bass
>
> > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>
> > Bass Home Electronics
> > DIY Alarm and Home Automation Storehttp://www.bassburglaralarms.com
> > Sales & Service 941-870-2310
> > Fax 941-870-3252
> > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

> RHC: I guess I'll try the 4/2 format as Nick suggested before I swap
> out the board. It just doesn't seem logical that the panel should
> seize the line and dial out only under some conditions but not
> others...you'd think it would work totally or not at all.....?????
>
> I've sold quite a few of the Uplink 2530 cellular devices as a primary
> means of communication, where the client didn't have a home phone and
> [...]

Since the beginning of this switch over to VoIP (in spite of all the
warnings and trepidation) I haven't heard of anyone having a constant
major problem with the cable company telephone service here. Just a
note, those that have had problems were not using Napco. I haven't had
any problems except for the following,  which have nothing to do with
quality of signal. 1/ Cable techs back feed the telephone service to
the alarm system and the alarm panel still senses telephone service
but can't call out. I tell my clients to test their system before the
cable guy leaves but sometimes they don't. 2/ In some areas, the cable
service goes out in the middle of the night causing the line fault
monitor to sound the alarm. Some clients I've had to remove the line
fault monitoring option. 3/ At the beginning I had a few instances of
not being able to sustain communication during a download. But that
doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. No reports of alarm signals not
going through.

Bob, with regard to your problem, since you said  your problem was
only on some specific signals, the following comes to mind: Why do you
and DSC not think that Contact ID would work where SIA wouldn't? That
is ... why wouldn't DSC recommend Contact ID first, before
recommending 4/2? Just curious. Since *they* didn't, it would raise my
suspicions that it could be a problem they're not telling you about.
( In my limited contact with DSC Technical, they don't seem to be as
forthcoming as they should be about problems they're having) Also,
could it be that the cable bandwidth ( which is set up for voice
communication)  is limiting the frequencies that can be transmitted
which just happen to be in those particular alarm signals that you're
not able to transmit? It doesn't seem to equate that some signals can
get through and others can't without considering this.