Re: DSC 832 on Cable VoIP

"Effenpig1" wrote:

> I won't use anything but a POTS line for sending signals with the built in
> communicator...

I understand the concern with all the problems that have come up so far.
However, it appears as though all of the major carriers are going to switch to
some version of VoIP, even for what we now know as POTS lines.  Many of the
inter-city trunks are already digitized and the rest are going that way.  Only
time will tell what kind of hoops the alarm industry will have to jump through
just to get a signal down the line.

> Any other phone service gets IP monitoring or cellular...

We're getting a lot more calls for cellular backup and even for cellular as
primary these days.  Most are not yet coming from residences though.  A couple
of our regular clients operate remote pumping stations that have to be monitored
24/7 for pressure, water level, etc.  These are for both fresh and waste water
facilities.  It's surprizing some of the niches that alarm gear finds its way
into.

> Sending signals over anything other than a standard phone line with the panels
> digital communicator opens you up to serious liability should there be a
> communications failure resulting in loss...

A lot of that depends on how well you've worded your contract, but certainly
it's better to avoid the loss than deal with the jury.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics