Re: Ping: Petem

On Jan 1, 11:12=A0pm, "alarman" <nos...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> tourman wrote:
> > RHC: You really can't read ! =A0That is not what I said; not even
> > close ! I don't for a moment believe that, nor do you. How the hell do
> > you get that comparison out of this thread. Read the posts with your
> > eyes open and your brain out of neutral this time.....
>
> Um, well here's what you wrote:
>
> "But having tolerance for those who would break up our country (even
> =A0while we embrace their culture) would be on the same level as having
> =A0tolerance for terrorism and those who blew up the twin towers."
>
> Did I read that right?
>
> --
> js
>
> Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

RHC: Yeah, except you left out the last part which puts it in the
proper context...."there is a huge difference between having respect
for the cultural differences in a society and tolerating those who
would destroy it".

The sentence you picked up on (in plain English so you can understand
it)  means I would no more tolerate the extremism of Quebec separation
than I would the extremism of people who would destroy our countries
by other violent means. THAT is the point of that post.

Going back to the original strain of this thread, I respect the
distinct Quebecois culture within Quebec, and value it as an important
part of our overall Canadian culture, but I'm not going to stand still
for the extremist, separatist part of their culture which almost broke
up Canada a decade or so ago. Just as terrorism today is trying to
destroy the fabric of our two democracies, so too did the separatists
try to destroy our country back then. The difference was, they didn't
do it with bombs; they tried to do it by turning a manipulated free
vote into a majority vote, which would have automatically ripped the
Province out of Confederation, and formed another country. Using the
"system" against you can be just as deadly as any bombs or bullets,
and has a far greater chance of actually succeeding too....

Sometimes I think you pick apart things people say, and take parts of
what's said out of context, just to be a shit disturber.....