Re: Off Topic - But Heinous

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:26:02 -0400, Mike Ash wrote:

> In article <slrnhsrk1l.eos.dbd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  dbd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (David DeLaney) wrote:
>
>> Petem <petem001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Web
>>>
>>>go read a bit and come back..
>>>
>>>The US govt did nit invented the web..
>>
>> Historical note: the Web is not the Internet. Neither one is Usenet. And
>> all of them are also different from the set of ftp-able computers. There's
>> also FIDOnet, and various others.
>>
>> A great deal of the Web goes OVER the Internet. But they're not identical.
>
> The web is a fairly integral part of the modern internet. To say that
> the internet is just TCP/IP is to be somewhat disingenuous at this
> point. The US created large portions of it, but the web is a big chunk
> too. You really can't say that any one individual entity invented it.

I'd say that World Wide Web is a proper[1] subset of the Internet. Usenet
isn't, though the number of people who access Usenet without using TCP/IP is
rather negligible and still dwindling.

BTW, the computers themselves were not invented in US - contrary to the
popular belief, ENIAC wasn't the first computer.

[1] in the mathematical sense only; propriety has nothing to do with that...

--
Szymon SokóÅ? (SS316-RIPE) -- Network Manager                                 B
Computer Center, AGH - University of Science and Technology, Cracow, Poland  O