Re: OT: Respect for the Government

"Rockytsquirrel" wrote:

> Bob  has a very narrow window through which to look  it seems..
>
> FYI Bob:  when you quote  the Holy Bible,  please remember to quote the
> context as well as the words..

OK, allow me to explain without passing judgment on you or your "outlook".

>> 2 Peter 2: 9-11
>>
>> "The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to
>> reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished: But
>> chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and
>> despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not
>> afraid to speak evil of dignities. Whereas angels, which are greater
>> in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before
>> the Lord."

There is some debate among biblical scholars as to the authenticity of 2 Peter.
However, assuming that the book is authentic, its main emphasys is dealing with
problems among the faithful.  My purpose in posting was to share what the Bible
has to say about the way we ought to speak about our leaders.

In sharp contrast to the things I see going on among the hard right, I have a
"cousin-in-law" (marrying my cousin) Gary, who is a hard-line, right-wing,
gun-toting, farmer (yeah, we still have farms in Sarasota county).  During the
election we would argue continually over the merits of first Hillary vs McCain
and then Obama vs McCain.  All this was never in angry tones, just deeply
committed beliefs in a set of ideas about what is best for our country.

The day after the election was over I asked Gary how he fealt.  His reply?
"He's my President now.  I'll take abullet for him."  Gary is the kind of person
who, if he says it, he'd do it.  He's a patriot first and a Gof-fearing
Republican second.  Sad to say when I look in the mirror I don't measure up to
that level, but I'm working on it.  No offense but how about you?  How about any
of us?

I hope neither this nor my original comment on this thread are taken as
accusatory or judgmental.  They wre and are intended to provoke us to think
about how we think and speak about our leaders.  I've already said that I
realize I didn't treat Bush with the respect due his office regardless what I
thought of him personally.  What about the rest of us?  Can you say that we
measure up to the biblical standard in this area?  I'm not asking if you believe
in Jesus, only about the way we all live in comparison to what this passage
sugests is the right way.

I'm asking one more thing.  Can you limit your reply to what we're taling about?
I'm not asking for your assessment of me as a person.  That's irrelevent to the
conversation and is only done by some folks to divert from the subject.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics