Re: Foiling ??

On Oct 20, 4:42=EF=BF=BDpm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Oct 20, 12:53=EF=BF=BDpm, "Robert L Bass" <Sa...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=
>
> wrote:
>

> > "tourman" wrote:
>
> > > RHC: Thanks guys....keep it up....compared to you guys, I'm starting =
> > > actually feel like a youngster again.....:))
>
> > What the heck! =EF=BF=BDISTR you're older than me. =EF=BF=BDJim current=
ly has standing as the
> > antiq... er, oldest member of the newsgroup.
>
> > --
>
> > Regards,
> > Robert L Bass
>
> > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>
> > Bass Home Electronics
> > DIY Alarm and Home Automation Storehttp://www.bassburglaralarms.com
> > Sales & Service 941-870-2310
> > Fax 941-870-3252
> > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

> RHC: Yeah, I know that.....I was more referring to years in the
> business than calendar years....)
>
> I did a system the other day that had foiling on the basement windows.
> I was replacing a 30 year old Chubb system with a more modern alarm.
> Seemed like a lot of paraphanalia on the windows to serve as a simple
> glassbreak detector, but I can certainly see how it would work well. I
> have to wonder though if that stuff false alarmed a lot once it got
> older and the sun made it brittle.-

Just like anything that you do with security installation, some do
what they do just so it lasts as long as the customer can see their
tail lights. Others do a good job. It was always evident which jobs
were good and which weren't when you went in to service foil. Some
never even put on a surface coat of varnish. Just tack down the
corners. Of course it meant that a sevice call would be necessary in
about a year or two. 98 percent of the breaks came from flexing at the
foil block connections. When we soldered connections to foil take-
offs, prior to foil blocks, we didn't have that problem. Then, most
breaks came from window washers or accidental or deliberate scratching
of the foil.

There's a gas station in an old wooden frame building where I foiled
the two six over six light, double hung windows, on the second floor,
over 30 years ago. I did a real fancy job because the windows were so
visible from the road. Each pane with almost 360 degree foil, indented
corners and soldered crossovers on each mullion. I might have even
used "F" spring take-offs on the windows. Although I'm sure the foil
isn't part of the present alarm system ( I don't have the customer
anymore)  the foil job is still up there. The building is distictive
because of it's age and the two dog house windows on the roof of the
single story building, with the silver window foil on the glass, is
very promenent and visible. Adds to the "vintage" look of the
building. The windows face north so the sunlight hasn't affected the
foil, as it might otherwise.

I think that most people probably think that the foil on the glass is
something decorative now ..... rather than part of an old security
system.