Re: Foiling ??

"tourman" wrote:

> RHC: Yeah, I know that.....I was more referring to years in the business
> than calendar years....)

On that score I outdate most here except Grandp... er, I mean Jim.  :^)

> I did a system the other day that had foiling on the basement windows. I was
> replacing a 30 year old Chubb system with a more modern alarm. Seemed like a
> lot of paraphanalia on the windows to serve as a simple glassbreak detector,
> but I can certainly see how it would work well.

In its day, foil was the only glassbreak detector.

> I have to wonder though if that stuff false alarmed a lot once it got older
> and the sun made it brittle.

If it's done right it doesn't get brittle. I did foil jobs nearly thirty years
ago that are still working.

The adhesive behind the foil blocks gets dry and comes loose if you don't seal
them with varnish.  The main problem, as someone else already stated, is
window washing.  If there isn't a good coat of varnish it can break easily.
Also, people accidentally (and sometimes deliberately) nick foil while going
through glass doors.

What did foiling in wasn't false alarms.  That has never slowed the alarm
industry.  [:^)]  It was time consuming and alarm installation became a race
to the finish when the big nationals started hawking "free" systems.
Installers had to finish a job in the morning and another in the afternoon.
With that turn of events craftsmanship all but died in the trade.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics