Re: Foiling ??

chasbo wrote:

> For the first coat, I used a box (formerly containing Ademco # 39's or
> 39-2's), placing it against the window frame, and with varnish on the brush,
> and the brush handle pressed against the side of the box, slid both the box
> and brush, in unison, down the frame...

That's basically the same thing we did, except we would use a playing card or
a matchbook, depending on which was available.  However, I used to make a mark
on the glass with a light colored crayon before applying the varnish.  This
gave me a nice, straight line to follow with the foil.  Once the foil was in
place the mark was all but invisible.

> When applying the the foil I used a rubber suction cup to hold the foil on
> the opposite side of the window...

That's creative.  I used to simply stretch a bit of foil and smooth it into
the sticky track made by the first coat of varnish (aka foil protector).  Once
started, the foil would stay put as I smoothed it along the line.

> WHen reparing foil breaks I would use Silver-Print, an expensive one or two
> ounce bottle containing silver suspended in solvent.  It came with a brush
> in the handle.  I simply applied a coat to the break, 1/2 inch on both
> sides; when dried it completed the circuit.  On cold winter glass the drying
> took longer.  I would then coat the area again, apply another piece of foil
> to protect the silver-print and varnish once more.

More creative ideas -- nice.  I never heard of Silver-Print before.  What is
it's primary use?

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass